Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a 500 mile trip last weekend and got 21.9 MPG. I was excited to do that well. Then today I installed my aFe Stage II intake and Blade Runner manifold. I hope it gets better. I'll know in a day or two. I do not operate over 2200 RPM as I have 4:10 gears. I don't need to go 75 MPH (or more) if I can get that kind of mileage. :hyper:

·
Registered
47 Posts
So you were driving @ 60 mph?

I have a 6 sp and 3.73 gears.. 2k I am at 65 mph...

OH .. I get 15.6 on the hwy by hand..
26+ on the overhead.

·
Registered
491 Posts
dang man glad to hear that specialy at over $4 a gallon i can get like 18-21 in town alsong as i stay out of it now and liiike only 18-19 highway but still not complaining

·
Registered
129 Posts
I did a 500 mile trip last weekend and got 21.9 MPG. I was excited to do that well. Then today I installed my aFe Stage II intake and Blade Runner manifold. I hope it gets better. I'll know in a day or two. I do not operate over 2200 RPM as I have 4:10 gears. I don't need to go 75 MPH (or more) if I can get that kind of mileage. :hyper:
I took a 1300+ mile round trip to Boise Idaho last week. We were in a hurry to get there (driving 80+) and got 13.67 MPG (with 25 miles in town driving). On the way back @ 75 MPH we averaged 21.45. On the flat lands from Boise headed east we averaged 24.15, then the mountains brought it down to 17.4 MPG. All were hand calculated. If I can keep it below 65 MPH it goes up considerably... Trying to talk the wife into letting me get mods and tires hoping to lower the RPM's even more. :thumbsup

·
Registered
47 Posts
I took a 1300+ mile round trip to Boise Idaho last week. We were in a hurry to get there (driving 80+) and got 13.67 MPG (with 25 miles in town driving). On the way back @ 75 MPH we averaged 21.45. On the flat lands from Boise headed east we averaged 24.15, then the mountains brought it down to 17.4 MPG. All were hand calculated. If I can keep it below 65 MPH it goes up considerably... Trying to talk the wife into letting me get mods and tires hoping to lower the RPM's even more. :thumbsup
Those are petty amazing numbers... I can no get over 16... no matter what I do... well unless I don't fll the tank up the same every time.. then it looks like mine is better...
if you are gonna do it by hand you have to start and finsih with the same amount of fuel.. basiclly sit at the pmp and fill it for 30 min. till it reaches the cap and stays at the cap... if you didn't do that when you filled up it will not be accurate.. I can add GALLONS more once the pump shuts off

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
Those are petty amazing numbers... I can no get over 16... no matter what I do... well unless I don't fll the tank up the same every time.. then it looks like mine is better...
if you are gonna do it by hand you have to start and finsih with the same amount of fuel.. basiclly sit at the pmp and fill it for 30 min. till it reaches the cap and stays at the cap... if you didn't do that when you filled up it will not be accurate.. I can add GALLONS more once the pump shuts off
I just go until the pump shuts off, seems to be about the same everytime, at least close enough to use as a good estimation, that and 9-% of the time I use the same nozzle at the same station... I can tell thou when a different station doesn't get me as full, or fuller... but not enough to worry about.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wish

Wish my mileage was better...

kept stock tire, new muffler and that is all..OH green filter.

I am trying to sell mine cuz the mileage is so bad... this is why I bought a Cummins... My F250 was ten times nicer and the same mileage...

SO i really lost out... NO disrespect to Dodge.. it is STRONG, but I drive tones of miles and need a big truck and mileage..

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
You may try a larger tire, if you do a lot of empty miles the 6th gear ratio of .79 in the G56 isn't the best.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You may try a larger tire, if you do a lot of empty miles the 6th gear ratio of .79 in the G56 isn't the best.
tell me about it... 2300 at 72mph.

? is what size... then what effects does it have on drivability and my wallet...

Dodges seem to walk all over the road to me.. always fighting to keep it in a straight line...

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I'm holding steady at 17-18mpg for around town driving if I drive like a sane person. 21-22mpg on the highway moving at legal speeds (70mph). Not bad with the SMARTY set at level 7.

MikeyB

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
you are going to get less mileage with the afe stage ii install the afe first and take a trip and you will see a 0.4 mpg drop and see 40* increase in egt's put the stock back on and it will return . the bladerunner is poor quality and does not work half as good as a cfm+ we took a die grinder to our bladerunner and in about two hours we got it where it works a lot better it is now midway between stock and our cfm+ 's do a grid heater delete at the time you install the bladerunner

·
Registered
352 Posts
From what I have seen 4x4's seem to get worse mileage than the 2wd's. I have not calculated mine, but I can get the overhead to stay above 27 on highway. My grandparents hand calculated their truck(2006 2500 6sp 2wd) and actually got 2mpg better than what the overhead said. 23mpg I believe.

·
Registered
151 Posts
:hyper:when i bought my truck, i was told it had 3.73s in it which was what i "wanted" at the time....man am i glad its got 4.10s for when i switch to my 35s!!!! i'm getting 21.8 hand calculated if i keep her at 60mph/1800rpm. doin 75 on the i state will get me about 18.5 which still is 4mpgs better than my old tundra w the true dual straights (which killed my mpgs but sounded FINE!):lol3:

·
Registered
512 Posts
How is everyone at 2k by 65mph?

At 70mph with my cruise set, i'm at 1900rpm in my automatic with 3.73s? My over head says 23 mpg, but I know that has to be off? I'm getting 600 miles out of a tank full, but thats with the pump shutting off at 30 gallons, wtf?

I just over the weekend installed a CFM+ and FBD Grid Delete, let's see how much that helps?

Problem is its really hard not to stomp on the gas after I installed my exhaust.... :hyper:

I need to fill the tank up all the way and just keep her at 70mph on the hwy and drive like a sane person on the city then it will really tell me how big of an increase I got?

My mods: AFE Stage 2 {P7}, 5" Turboback FSP Exhaust, Edge EZ Set to "3" all the time, CFM+ IM with FBD "G" Delete.

-V

·
Registered
708 Posts
hmmm I get 19 at my last fillup

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just got my 08 3500 on Friday. The overhead said 13.3 with 180mi on the odometer. All city driving.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
21 mpg at my last fill up. been getting 18 to 21 combination highway, city. I am getting over 700 miles per tank. All hand calculated mpg. Wishing for a overdrive auxilary trans to lower the rpm it's 2000 right at 63 to 65 stock tires.

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
How is everyone at 2k by 65mph?
Manual trans.... 3.73's, 265's, and a G56 and you have ~2100 rpms at 65mph... 3.73's, 265's, and a NV5600 and your only at ~1950... The new G56 (07+??) is at ~1975.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Manual trans.... 3.73's, 265's, and a G56 and you have ~2100 rpms at 65mph... 3.73's, 265's, and a NV5600 and your only at ~1950... The new G56 (07+??) is at ~1975.
Thanks for schooling me.

·
Registered
350 Posts
How can you guy's get over 13 mpg around town? I get about 11.5 hand calculated.nd thats light footing it. My best freeway, cruise set at 65 mph no ac, I got 21.6 mpg. Towing a 30ft weekend warrior toy hauler fully loaded about 13,000 lbs average speed of 65, I average 8-9 mpg.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts