Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in need of taking out my output shaft since it sheered. Part of it is in the tcase and of course the rest in the trans. how do remove the pieces. Then also how do u install a new shaft? Also do I need to drop my trans out to replace it? Thanks in advance!!

·
Marble Crusher
1,857 Posts
If i remember right on a 01 3500 we have at work with a NV4500, not sure if urs is a NV5600 or 4500, we had the same thing happen, sheered the output shaft off. Yes you do have to remove the transmission, and you pretty much have to disassemble the entire tranny to get it out and replace it, its a pretty good job, ill see if i can find a write up on it or get you the info from work tomorrow sometime.

-Jordan-

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump anybody else. I have heard just have to take off the overdrive housing.,

·
Marble Crusher
1,857 Posts
nevermind just saw u have an HTS tranny i just figured right off the bat it was a manual tranny, in that case i dont know, havent really gotten into the auto trannys in these trucks enough.

-Jordan-

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yes, you can do it by just removing the OD housing.

Short version, remove the transfer case, and then remove the OD unit from the rest of the trans. Inside the OD unit will be two clutch packs, a planetary, and an over running clutch.
During assembly, the output shaft is the first thing that goes into the OD housing. Therefore, Im sure you can figure out how much of the OD unit you will have to take apart.

Now, for a detailed how to, good luck, let me know what you find for free online but I been looking for a few weeks now. If you don't have a factory service manual, get one. Theres links floating aorund for the 2001 manual, but in trucks manual is a few thousand pages long so the price for the actual paper book for your year aren't unreasonable.
Other than that, I also downloaded the A518/A618 manual from ATSG yesterday. At the time it was written, it only covered the 47RH, which is what we have but with a hydrualic govener. While there are some differences between the RE and the RH, and the section on the 1st thru 3rd is pretty bad in the ATSG manual, I do like the ATSG manual alot more for its OD content. Between the factory manaual and the ATSG manual(30 dollars) you should have all you need to know.

Im fixing to tear mine down today or tomorrow after a long troubleshooting experience and alot of studying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts