Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/girls,
Newbie here. Jumped out of a lifted 1984 W150 and in into a 2500 diesel. I picked up a 1998.5 2500-4x4, auto trans and completely stock for $2500:party018:. I knew it needed a injector pump when I bought it. I ordered one from TheDieselShop.com and should get it Monday 2/20. The truck has 363k on the clock but I know the maintenance history and it has been well cared for. Rear rebuilt 1000 miles ago, new ac compressor/condenser last year, new lift pump 100 miles ago, tires are almost new and new paint 1.5 years ago (minor dents-easy fix). She needs a good cleaning but that is the easy part.

My question is: I will be changing the injection pump and was wondering if there is anything else (besides the lift pump) that I should change while I will have the pump off. I plan on keeping this truck for a long time and want to keep up with the good maintenance history. I plan on keeping this truck stock..... For now;)

Thanks!!

Here is a like to photo bucket:
98 Dodge Ram Diesel pictures by Dieselfixer - Photobucket

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thats a nice looking truck youve got there. Do you know if the trans has had any work done to it? and do you plan on keeping it stock or putting some performance parts on it?

·
Banned
1,612 Posts
Dump the lift pump, don't care if it's new.

Put in an AirDog and a fuel pressure gauge.

·
Gyropilot
341 Posts
When you have that VP44 out for the swap, as a preventive measure, be sure to replace the camshaft position sensor. It's located underneath the VP44 on the backside of the timing gear case and extremely difficult to reach with the VP44 in place. You can save the old camshaft position sensor as an emergency spare.

Best regards,

John L.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
When you have that VP44 out for the swap, as a preventive measure, be sure to replace the camshaft position sensor. It's located underneath the VP44 on the backside of the timing gear case and extremely difficult to reach with the VP44 in place. You can save the old camshaft position sensor as an emergency spare.

Best regards,

John L.

what why?:confused013:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

Best regards,

John L.
:agree2: You'll never find an easier time to replace it. Advance Auto had mine.

·
Registered
687 Posts
:agree2:I would highly suggest replacing the tappet cover gasket, the cam position sensor and the braided hose to the vacuum pump, even if nothing's leaking. All are a colossal pain to get at otherwise, so take advantage of the situation. When I replaced my VP44 last year, the tappet cover looked great and I left it alone. Guess what I'm doing next weekend?? :banghead:

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Does the 98.5' have a camshaft position sensor?

I bought a Haynes repair manual #30041 from a chain type auto parts store to get up quick on general maint. and procedures the same day I bought mine.

·
Gyropilot
341 Posts
what why?:confused013:
Because IF it fails (and they do regularly), the engine won't run and it's a real PITA to reach. It's simply a suggestion as a preventative measure to stay ahead of the game.

Think of it as cheap insurance.

John L.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
463 Posts
i'd get either a fuel pressure gauge or at-least a low fuel pressure light. I'd watch your fuel pressure if it drops below 10 psi with the new pump i'd upgrade the lift pump to a Fass or Airdog to keep up with the fuel demand, because it will reduce the life of the injection pump. Plus run some Marine 2-stroke oil I believe its tcw-2 it help keep the injection pump well lubricated, since our trucks weren't really made for the ultra low sulfur diesel.

·
Gyropilot
341 Posts
Does the 98.5' have a camshaft position sensor?
Yes.

It has both a camshaft position sensor (CMP) and a crankshaft position sensor (CKP).

Later year model (such as my 2001) ditched the CKP and only have the CMP.

John L.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats a nice looking truck youve got there. Do you know if the trans has had any work done to it? and do you plan on keeping it stock or putting some performance parts on it?

Thanks!! I think I got a good deal for it's condition. I should be about $3500 or so into after the pump is installed.

Nothing has been done to Trans. Just Flushing and filter changes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I plan on installing a few gauges. Fuel pressure, Oil pressure and maybe boost in a 3 gauge piller pod. I will look into the tappet cover gasket. The camshaft position sensor is a cheap replacement so that will get done. I want to be proactive rather than reactive to any problems I can avoid.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
How is the vac/power steering pump doing?
Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
687 Posts
:agree2: Good suggestion, I just rebuilt that little rascal, too. You may also want to look for leaking Hydraboost lines while you're at it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
963 Posts
Starter contacts, oohhh and doors mine are rusting at the bottom...geezzz:rof

·
Registered
687 Posts
The vacuum pump, attached to the back of the PS pump, starts to leak over time. It's a simple fix (O-ring and gasket) while you're tearing into that side of the engine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.