Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting ready to order a new truck (I'm too picky, you'll NEVER find one on a lot how I want) and trying to decide if I want the Mega Cab or not.

Everyone always says if you have a family you need the Mega Cab, but I don't really understand why. You get about 1 foot behind the rear seat, so it can either recline (not useful, 2 out of the 3 are in high back booster seats) or space to store crap.

What I lose is the 8 foot bed and therefore the option of the 50 gallon tank.

Am I missing something here?

·
Premium Member
2021 Big Horn DRW
54 Posts
Personally don't think you're missing anything. I don't care for the Mega Cab. Have the crew cab and love it - and the 8ft bed just makes work life a lot easier for me. While it's not a good argument compared to some you will get here, I don't care for the appearance of the Mega either. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have never wished that I need any more space in my Crew Cab. Maybe that's just me, but it's the largest cab I've had in any vehicle I've owned, and it's plenty big for anything I'd ever need to put in there. If it doesn't fit in the cab, that's what my 8' bed is for!

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
8,650 Posts
I enjoyed my mega cab, big benifit to the mega, is resale. they are sought after and a mega cab will sell faster, and for more, then a crew cab SHORT BOX. But, that is where you have to ask yourself a question. If you want a short box, get a mega cab. If you want a long box and the 50 gal tank, do that. What will be more useful for you? If a short box could work for me again, i would buy a mega cab in a heart beat. However, i need a long box. so that restricts me to a crew cab. that simple for me. If they offered a factory mega cab long box, i would definitely get it. sure i might not be able to turn around without 40 acres to do it in, but i would still enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Personally don't think you're missing anything. I don't care for the Mega Cab. Have the crew cab and love it - and the 8ft bed just makes work life a lot easier for me. While it's not a good argument compared to some you will get here, I don't care for the appearance of the Mega either. Just my 2 cents.
Agreed. They are incredibly roomy in the back but we don’t need a mega cab. I also think the proportions aren’t right but to each their own. We also do a lot of city driving so overall length is a factor for us as well.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
88 Posts
So I'm getting ready to order a new truck (I'm too picky, you'll NEVER find one on a lot how I want) and trying to decide if I want the Mega Cab or not.

Everyone always says if you have a family you need the Mega Cab, but I don't really understand why. You get about 1 foot behind the rear seat, so it can either recline (not useful, 2 out of the 3 are in high back booster seats) or space to store crap.

What I lose is the 8 foot bed and therefore the option of the 50 gallon tank.

Am I missing something here?
I own a 2014 megacab which was not our original intent to buy one but this popped up when looking. The biggest benefit to us is the way the seats fold flat in the mega cab. We could just as easily use the Crew cab but the mega cab works really well for our dogs on camping trips and provides a really large area with virtually no gap to the front seats and a nice storage area behind the rear seats. The extra length can be an issue when parking in the garage and the extra overall length is slightly noticeable when driving but the leg room although nice, not sure it’s worth it just for that.

·
IL Chapter VP
3,548 Posts
These were from another site where a member had his megacab truck stretched.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Looks like it's done quite well.. The Mega cab trucks look strange to me, and the long box with it certainly doesn't help that feeling!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These were from another site where a member had his megacab truck stretched. View attachment 920660 View attachment 920661
I'm aware of the frame stretching. I'd still have to get a non factory larger tank and I'm sure it's safe and several people have done it with no issues but something about cutting a frame and rewelding it then trusting it to do factory rated weights makes me nervous

·
Registered
4 Posts
I originally had a 2006 3500 SRW 4X2 Mega, loved everything about it. I was totaled and I remember when cleaning it out how did I ever get so much stuff stored behind the rear seat and in the storage boxes. Next was the 2016 3500 CCLB DRW 4X4, I always complained about the lack of storage inside. Yes, the 60 gallon tank fit great with the 5th wheel pucks and space left over in the bed. Now, 2017 3500 SRW 4X4 CCSBRB, still a crew and still a short box but even less storage with the ramboxes. Although with the ramboxes my rear floorboards stay clear of anything but feet. Next time I will be going back to a Mega. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: captainronpo614

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I too would like an 8ft and now the 50 gallon tank, but HD Rams have the smallest back seat room in a crew cab truck. The main thing for me is the lack of a full rear seat. Every other manufacturer has a full bench seat which can seat 3 people. Ram's is made for 2.5. Whoever is in the middle has half a seat. With kids and stuff, I need all the seats I can get. The extra storage behind the back is a bonus. If the crew cab would go to an actual 5th gen crew cab, I'd buy it for the bed length and fuel capacity. I had a 2019 1500 and the rear room and full bench seat was much improved. Maybe 2022 will be the year for the HDs.

·
Registered
325 Posts
In my opinion the mega cabs look awful. And the way I see it, as long as I'm in the driver seat, I really don't care how much extra leg room the people in the back have lol also a short box would never work for me personally

·
Registered
449 Posts
The storage behind the seat is a nice touch when you only need a few things instead of having a tool box. I keep a 30' tow strap, bottle jack, torque wrench and craftsman lug nut socket kit in the floor storage behind the seat with rags and a rain jacket. Fold the seats flat and you have half a mini van of floor space storage although its as high as the tailgate on Bigfoot. With the 8' box it really is a great truck as long as the stretch is done right. Add a cap and carpet bed liner and it real nice for keeping gear dry and won't slide around on the carpet.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I'm on my second mega cab and with a family of 5 (3 kids) I would have a difficult time going back to a crew cab. It's not only the room but the storage. You say you don't need reclining rear seats, neither do I but there is a ton of space back there and under the seats that you just don't get with the CC. Kids backpacks, towels, tools, what ever. I can pack a lot of stuff in there.
My kids started out in seats and boosters and it was so much easier to climb in and get them buckled. Now they are a little older they can walk past each other to get in etc.

A 8ft bed would be nice but I use the interior space every single day so that's more important to me.

Reactions: MrsSilva1

·
Registered
194 Posts
Love my Mega, will never buy anything else. The fold down seat is nice for transporting stuff and my 95lb doberman loves it lol. Kid likes the reclining seat and room.

cheers

·
Registered
217 Posts
I love the Mega Cab just for the fact I can lay the seats flat and put luggage back there - lots of luggage. I have a bed cover but dust and water can still get in there. My kids are all older and out of the house now but they do appreciate the room and reclining seats when they have traveled with us. I have a 105lb German Shepard and he lays back there comfortably and its easier to keep the hair off the seats with a cover on a flat surface than trying to get something to cover the seats when up right.

This who are hating on the Mega just don't know!

I do miss the 50 gallon fuel tank...but I just ordered the S&B 52 gallon tank....so shoot...

·
Registered
32 Posts
We tow a 40' 5th wheel toy hauler and as much as I wanted a Mega Cab DRW, the 50 gallon tank in the Crew Cab long bed is well worth getting the Crew Cab to me.

·
Registered
2018, 6.7 H.O. Aisin, Mega Cab Laramie 4x4, Bilstein Level
171 Posts
Mega cab for several reasons stated. Full seat bottom, reclining seats, more headroom, storage under seats and behind. I have 3 kids that are bigger every day. I prefer it and specifically bought a mega after riding in my sister's crew cab. I tow a 5th wheel without issues and don't need a long bed personally. Larger fuel tank would be nice but I need to stop every few hours for a stretch and family bathroom breaks anyway.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
It's impossible to have too much room... So the brats won't fight, but those days are long behind. I would never give up my 8' bed.

Reactions: orlando3

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I considered crew, mega, short and long bed when I bought. The wheelbase increases 10" going from crew-short to mega-short and another 10" going to crew-long bed. My crew-short fits in my garage easily. If I want to haul long stuff, I have trailers.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts