Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up with the high amount of orange peel on new vehicles being acceptable. Just saw a chrysler 300 commercial that zoomed into the emblem and the orange peel was awful. Its not just chrysler, but all brands. I don't get it. My previous truck was inferno red. I wet sanded the orange peel off and OMG did it look amazing afterwards!!! So, what gives here...why all the orange peel????

Any one wet sand their new truck yet?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Haven't noticed, but then again I don't expect my truck to go win best in show anytime soon

But doesn't some orange peel provide little better protection from blemishes or very minor cosmetic damage than a smooth mirror finish?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I looked at a 2012 black 3500 4x4 last week at the dealer OMG it was really BAD, It needed watersanding and buffing in the worst way!!! My 2010 is fine, must be how they set the robots up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you're used to perfect flat clear, you can thank the same people who put the dpf on our truck.
The orange peel is due to the type of paint manufacturers have to use. If it bothers you, sand with 1500, 2k, 2500 then compound. There's plenty there... Just don't get too crazy.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I've thought about wet sanding my 11. It's white so it's not nearly as noticeable but if I had a black one I would def be sanding it!! It's pitiful

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
They have been using all waterbase paints for a few years now I am not sure about the clearcoat.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Isn't it the clear that orange peels, not the paint?
Yes, I am not sure if its solvent or water based clearcoat. That would make a difference I think as to the orange peel we see.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think mass production/go-go-go, doesn't help either. The reason high end sports cars don't have this issue is simply because the paint/body work isn't rushed and the attention to detail is far greater. JMO

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think mass production/go-go-go, doesn't help either. The reason high end sports cars don't have this issue is simply because the paint/body work isn't rushed and the attention to detail is far greater. JMO
What gets me is that you see it on luxury cars today too...bmw, mercedes...
sad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.