Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

841 - 860 of 867 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Do you mind sharing what your MPGs are?
Average over the life of the vehicle since deleting is 13.5 mpg. That's mostly city driving in Vancouver (stop-go-stop-go). When I'm on the highway I'm regularly going 80mph+. Every little bit of extra speed is a massive mpg killer.

BC highway driving involves a lot of mountains and I usually have a boat on top of the truck so I'm not at all aerodynamic. I generally accelerate hard so I'm doing everything wrong!

My best tank ever was mostly highway but no boat on top, so pretty much the best conditions I'll ever see, and I got 18mpg.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Average over the life of the vehicle since deleting is 13.5 mpg. That's mostly city driving in Vancouver (stop-go-stop-go) and when I'm on the highway I'm regularly going ~80mph. Every little bit of extra speed is a massive mpg killer.

BC highway driving involves a lot of mountains and I usually have a boat on top of the truck so I'm not at all aerodynamic. And I accelerate hard. A lot.

My best tank ever was mostly highway but no boat on top, so pretty much the best conditions I'll ever see, and I got 18mpg.
13.5 MPG for mostly city driving I suppose is okay but I still would have thought it would have been higher. True on the every bit of extra speed can be a massive mpg killer.

I'm not a heavy footed driver so I am hoping my truck will make a bit better than 13.5 because stock form, my truck made at least 16-17 mpg, hand calculated it. That is unloaded, towing with just a car trailer load with a car, I got about 15 mpg. I may just got lucky who knows.

Well damn if you put a boat on top of the truck you got a lot of wind resistance there. :) I can certainly understand the MPGs tanking from that possibly.

Thanks for sharing what MPG you are getting, much appreciated.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Here is my thoughts on what mat is doing for his tunes,
My personal speculations are that he has very limited access to trucks and has only really tested on a few trucks. His "custom" tunes are not custom at all, he has 3-4 files for each generation of truck and thats all that he sells, there just as good as canned tunes. What Mat has done is a joke and he needs to make it right

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Here is my thoughts on what mat is doing for his tunes,
My personal speculations are that he has very limited access to trucks and has only really tested on a few trucks. His "custom" tunes are not custom at all, he has 3-4 files for each generation of truck and thats all that he sells, there just as good as canned tunes. What Mat has done is a joke and he needs to make it right
So far I like it. Doesn’t mean it isn’t what you say. That said, part of the reason I bought from his was it seemed like he wasn’t using canned tunes. So if that’s the case, I’m slightly disappointed.

Since I have nothing to compare too, I might buy someone else’s tuning, just to see if there’s a difference.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #845
There's a new YouTube vid is up talking about Optimal tunes and why he changed to someone else's tunes. Any of you guys see it yet?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Nope, link?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Nope, link?

And thank you Eddie for doing this. I think it was owed to your viewers to know you also have had some issues because I think a lot of people were going to him based off your original video.

Reactions: Lins and Wyo George

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
He’s one, on the list of many, which helped me decide on optimal.

Seemed to only have an issue with a bit of shift flare and mats customer service. It’s good he posted that. So people are aware and hopefully mat himself.

I don’t get his air density part. That should just be boost or even cfm. Nothing banks will ever touch my truck.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Has he helped you anymore or have you moved on? I scrolled back to the 9th lol and couldn’t find anything you posted.
He sent another tune to try and said that if the new tune works then it proves the old tune was fine and the problem is my truck. I’m not sure I follow his logic on that, but oh well. I finally installed the new tune yesterday and drove it about ten miles of stop and go to get the trans happy. I’ll drive it a bit more tonight and then get on it harder and see. So far the only difference I can tell is that the new tune is louder at idle and is running more timing. I’ll report back after I’ve tried it a few days.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Weird. I would think if the new tune works.... it would prove it to be the tune. Unless he’s changed something to remove limits your truck might be using to stop fueling? I dunno

·
Registered
407 Posts
Weird. I would think if the new tune works.... it would prove it to be the tune. Unless he’s changed something to remove limits your truck might be using to stop fueling? I dunno
I dunno either. I’m not stressing about it anymore, but it’s definitely been an interesting experience.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I dunno either. I’m not stressing about it anymore, but it’s definitely been an interesting experience.
Thanks for continuing to update us on your experience with him and your issue. Weird how he would think a new tune file would prove it's not the tune itself but your truck? Strange logic there, sorry.

·
Registered
208 Posts
heres a little follow up to my situation, Mat said my auto idle up would work below 65, today the truck showed 61 and did not idle up nor did my pre heat light come on. Maybe its just not cold enough but time will tell

·
Registered
407 Posts
heres a little follow up to my situation, Mat said my auto idle up would work below 65, today the truck showed 61 and did not idle up nor did my pre heat light come on. Maybe its just not cold enough but time will tell
Mine didn’t work at 24degrees

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Thanks for continuing to update us on your experience with him and your issue. Weird how he would think a new tune file would prove it's not the tune itself but your truck? Strange logic there, sorry.
Thanks to anyone providing feedback on his tunes. I was debated trying him out but don’t think I’ll risk it.

841 - 860 of 867 Posts