Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

801 - 820 of 867 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Here's a little update I am on my fourth revision of tunes from Matt. My remote start is not functioning my Uconnect buttons do work now.
I ask Matt about the auto idle up and the EB not kicking and he said now one has said anything about it not working and he knows for a fact it works. Seems there is another story. Good luck to you all and i have a feeling with no matter what tuner we all go with there will be some sort of issue that needs to be ironed out, some can do it and some need more experience.
Makes sense. Remote start won't work with a CEL on.

I got my tunes in January and at that time the high idle EB didn't work but I haven't checked back since. Maybe he fixed it a long time ago and I've been too lazy to ask.

I can't tell about MPGs yet but if I find anything odd or anything like that I'll report back here..
I had 5 yrs of fuel economy on my old tunes and now 7 months with Optimal and they're pretty much identical. I've never run tow tunes or lower so I think it's a fair comparison. I drive fast and we have decent mountains in BC so I use plenty of diesel and nobody can save me from that.

Matt has to unlock it then the new tuner locks it to them.
My old tuner had no problem sending me unlock codes for the Autocal and it's easy to unpair them. New tuner just supplies lock codes and you're good to go. So at least the hardware is transferrable.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Makes sense. Remote start won't work with a CEL on.

I got my tunes in January and at that time the high idle EB didn't work but I haven't checked back since. Maybe he fixed it a long time ago and I've been too lazy to ask.

I had 5 yrs of fuel economy on my old tunes and now 7 months with Optimal and they're pretty much identical. I've never run tow tunes or lower.

My old tuner had no problem sending me unlock codes for the Autocal and it's easy to unpair them. New tuner just supplies lock codes and you're good to go. So at least the hardware is transferrable.
I don't understand your second part... what do you mean "I had 5 yrs of fuel economy on my old tunes and now 7 months with Optimal and they're pretty much identical. I've never run tow tunes or lower."? I don't make sense of this? How does MPGs equate to length of years and tow tunes or lower? What?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
So how does it work if i want to bounce back and forth between the two tuners? Cant the autocal simply have two tunes one from each tuner? Or do i have to unlock and lock to a tuner each time i want to run their tunes? If so maybe an autocal for each tuner is the way to go to keep them separate.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So how does it work if i want to bounce back and forth between the two tuners? Cant the autocal simply have two tunes one from each tuner? Or do i have to unlock and lock to a tuner each time i want to run their tunes? If so maybe an autocal for each tuner is the way to go to keep them separate.
You'd have to get unlock codes and lock codes from each, because once a device is unlocked it has to be locked to the next tuners flashscan device in order to use their tunes. From what I understand you can't really switch between tunes as in have both loaded from different tuners and just load whichever tunes you wanted on whatever day you wanted.

If I stated anything wrong here, please someone else with more knowledge chime in, this is all I know.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
You'd have to get unlock codes and lock codes from each, because once a device is unlocked it has to be locked to the next tuners flashscan device in order to use their tunes. From what I understand you can't really switch between tunes as in have both loaded from different tuners and just load whichever tunes you wanted on whatever day you wanted.

If I stated anything wrong here, please someone else with more knowledge chime in, this is all I know.
So how’s the power compared to optimal?

Did you have any check engine codes with optimal?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts

Unfortunately thats probably right. I may just get a second autocal then.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So how’s the power compared to optimal?

Did you have any check engine codes with optimal?
Power for me is better, throttle response for my truck is there at any of the levels I pick. To me it's a different truck tuned, but this is just my experience and I felt like there was more to the truck than when it was tuned with Optimal's tuning. Maybe I'm being biased sure based on my experience but I can tell you on my highest tune, off the line I felt a bit gutless and it only seemed to pick up more power on the top end instead of getting off the line.

No check engine codes with Optimal, before flashing the new tunes, I double and triple checked my truck before putting the new tunes on to make sure I didn't have any CELs at all and it came back with zero.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Unfortunately thats probably right. I may just get a second autocal then.
I think buying a second autocal might be more ideal in your situation should you want to try different tunes from different tuners and not have to ask possibly continually for unlock and lock codes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Matt has to unlock it then the new tuner locks it to them.
Yes that is correct. I just e-mailed another tuner and they said the same thing. You have to get an unlink code from the tuner. Not sure if they meant unlock code but either way a code from the previous tuner. I'm curious how willingly a tuner will give you the code if you asked for it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes that is correct. I just e-mailed another tuner and they said the same thing. You have to get an unlink code from the tuner. Not sure if they meant unlock code but either way a code from the previous tuner. I'm curious how willingly a tuner will give you the code if you asked for it.
In my experience I have had no issues getting the unlink / unlock code (whatever wording you prefer to use) from any tuner. Heck I never got asked why I was asking for the unlink code at all either. It's not like you can take their tunes and have their tunes reviewed by another tuner once you unlink / unlock your autocal from them.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Update on my saga here, I had to go to another tuner. But after doing so, all my trucks features and functions work as expected. Remote start, heated / cooled seats in the Uconnect head unit and the buttons themselves. EB comes on when first starting the truck even when not cold weather is present (I can hear the whistle).

I can't tell about MPGs yet but if I find anything odd or anything like that I'll report back here... for now I'm a happy camper. Sad I had to spend money elsewhere to get my truck working with all my features and functions but unfortunately I was running out of patience and with my track record of not getting responses or being told it's my truck... I couldn't sit here and wait longer for Mat to try and fix my issue.

This is not to throw shade on Mat or anything but to share my experience about him. If you're one of the ones that has his tuning and it worked perfectly for you where everything worked, that's awesome and I'm super glad for you. For me, I think it was my best decision to move on and just get another tuner like I did. He engine tuning (from my experience) was pretty good, I'll admit that any day of the week.
Doesn’t this outright prove the problem is with Mat’s tunes and not your truck? What am I missing?

If someone currently has a working tune from Mat then great but I don’t know how anyone reading this thread would ever buy from him now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: smoke2008

·
Registered
119 Posts
Doesn’t this outright prove the problem is with Mat’s tunes and not your truck? What am I missing?

If someone currently has a working tune from Mat then great but I don’t know how anyone reading this thread would ever buy from him now.

You got that right, you're not missing anything. It was his tunes unfortunately and not my truck.

I unfortunately agree with you on your second part, as much as I don't want to... my experience and other's who currently don't have a working truck from his tuning may turn people away from him in the future when they read through this thread.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts

Optimal was on my radar initially but after this I quickly looked elsewhere and glad I did. And this isn't the only place I have seen issues reported.

I'm sure Matt is a great guy and all but sure seems like he bit off more then he can chew. He was probably a small town guy doing this for a few people but after a well known youtuber made a video raving about the tunes it blew up. Unfortunately notoriety is a double edged sword, you can can capitalize on it and make it big or sink if you don't play your cards right.
Every tuner has or can have problems, the way you handle them (or ignore them) can make or break you.

I hope he can sort himself out and get back on track but that's going to take a change in attitude and the way he runs his business so he has some work to do.

If I read correctly I think the youtuber that did the initial review has moved on to something else? If so I hope they do a honest follow up video (not bashing, but honest) if they have. The people that watch those videos deserve to know because in today's social media driven society videos like that carry a lot of weight.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Does the unlock code cost anything?

After you guys mentioning the exhaust brake not working upon start up...I noticed mine doesn't work either. After hearing all these issues from Mat...it's safe to say that it's from his tuning.

I should reach out to him again and see if he will respond... last few emails I sent, I heard nothing but crickets.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Does the unlock code cost anything?

After you guys mentioning the exhaust brake not working upon start up...I noticed mine doesn't work either. After hearing all these issues from Mat...it's safe to say that it's from his tuning.

I should reach out to him again and see if he will respond... last few emails I sent, I heard nothing but crickets.
The unlock code costs nothing, you should never be charged for it.

I hope he can help you fix the exhaust brake not working on startup, good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just an update, I switched tuners and what do you know all of my functions work just like they did when I bought it. Matt needs to learn more and take more time tuning trucks. He is throwing out a 2014 OS tune to everybody that I have spoke to. That’s not what we are paying for, we are paying for custom tunes how does a tuner know what file to use when they don’t ask for the correct info. I learned my expensive lesson. Best of luck to you all, but I will not recommend optimal tunes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just an update, I switched tuners and what do you know all of my functions work just like they did when I bought it. Matt needs to learn more and take more time tuning trucks. He is throwing out a 2014 OS tune to everybody that I have spoke to. That’s not what we are paying for, we are paying for custom tunes how does a tuner know what file to use when they don’t ask for the correct info. I learned my expensive lesson. Best of luck to you all, but I will not recommend optimal tunes.
That is good to hear.....so much for it being the trucks fault....bad sensor...ect....that crap got old....all along it was the tune..
Please keep us posted on the performance of your truck ....likes and dislike
Could you PM who you went with...
Once again all this was good to hear

Reactions: ZMiller and JT21

·
Registered
119 Posts
That is good to hear.....so much for it being the trucks fault....bad sensor...ect....that crap got old....all along it was the tune..
Please keep us posted on the performance of your truck ....likes and dislike
Could you PM who you went with...
Once again all this was good to hear
PM'd you.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Glad you got your truck fixed as well. Does your truck run any different?

I definitely won't be getting efi live for my 5.9 through him.

Can you please pm me who you went with?

Thanks

801 - 820 of 867 Posts