Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
no, but if it's the same guy as the facebook page i seen his flatbeds. i know it doesn't help you out!

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Were you on the thread where someone was just complaining about the tune he just received from them?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Were you on the thread where someone was just complaining about the tune he just received from them?
I was not but I'll search for it so I can read through it. I came across a YouTube video on a 19 Ram 3500 running his tunes and he had nothing but good things to say about him. I think the channel was Eddie's Life or something like that.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I was not but I'll search for it so I can read through it. I came across a YouTube video on a 19 Ram 3500 running his tunes and he had nothing but good things to say about him. I think the channel was Eddie's Life or something like that.
I'll correct myself. I'm assumed it was Optimal Welding based off the name of the tune, but see posts 51 and up. Might just be a glitch but curious what comes of it.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/5th-gen-performance-parts-discussion/2512765-2019-deleted-5.html

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Same here nothing but good things. In fact I am going to have him do some tunes for my 05 when funds become available

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
He’s got a YouTube channel by the same name. Gets pretty well into the weeds with stuff on the channel. Some ho-hum stuff, some good info. Made several really nice pieces to make stuff work where off-the-shelf components didn’t exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He’s got a YouTube channel by the same name. Gets pretty well into the weeds with stuff on the channel. Some ho-hum stuff, some good info. Made several really nice pieces to make stuff work where off-the-shelf components didn’t exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watched a few of them and he seems pretty knowledgeable. I'm still a ways out from being ready purchase some tunes but I might give him a try when I'm ready.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
i'm not certain but i think i recall him mentioning on one of the videos he's in canuckistan. or maybe he's just "in canada", like a bunch of us are "in mexico"...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm on the fence as well. I watch Eddie's videos, and he has nothing but good things to say about Optimal Welding, and he had CTT Tuning beforehand. So I'm kinda stuck between the two. I know one person disliking tunes is anecdotal, so if there were more people talking about Optimal Welding it would help.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
469 Posts
Nothing against Eddie but he has the AS69RC so he can only comment on engine tuning. I'd be curious as to how good optimal welding's transmission tuning is. I can say that I'm very happy with HPP's trans tunes but I've had issues with every tune from CTT as far as the transmission side of the tune is concerned. I finally gave up on them making it right after over 10 tunes so I loaded my older HPP tune back on and all is good again.

I'd be curious as to what the shift points are, line pressure constant at highway speeds, line pressure ramp up rate, TCC lock up speed and gear in tow-haul and normal mode, downshifting strategy, etc of optimal welding's tunes.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Is it a bad idea to only get engine tuning without transmission tuning?
If you have a 68rfe then it is usually recommended to get trans tuning as it increases the line pressure ramp up rate and will hold max line pressure where needed. If you're only planning on running the ~30HP tune then it probably won't matter. It also gives you revised shift points and TCC lockup schedule. Depending on the tuner, they can get rid of shift flare and make it shift faster and crisper.

·
Registered
469 Posts
What exactly is shift flare?
Shift flare is when the rpms rise during a shift due to the torque converter unlocking and then re-locking between shifts. On the 68rfe it is noticeable on the 3-4 and 4-5 shift. It just makes for a slow, delayed shift. There is nothing wrong with it though, just more of an annoyance at times. It doesn't hurt reliability or longevity one bit.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts