Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could not be happier with this upgrade. I was having some kind of voltage drop off of the rear driver light cluster, would even get a minor zap when touching the chassis. replaced both of the rear light cluster boards which fixed that issue, but found the batteries had major voltage variances. Was having other electrical issues, so I decided to upgrade the battery and cables to get a solid power platform before continuing troubleshooting.

Went with cables from Customer Battery Cables. and Optima Yellow Tops.... Used CRC Electrical Cleaner and NO-OX-ID conductive grease on all the connections. Got the added alternator and heater cables too.

Did one cable at a time with no issues until the starter cable, The starter control cable I actually left attached and just unthreaded it from the existing cable wrap. The starter itself was problematic (I wasn't to the point of feeling confident to take the starter out), but after some leaning in and wrapping my arm underneath was able to finally get that connection taken off and reattached the new one. Also kept the original rubber connector cap, globed some NO-OX in it and put in back on the starter connection to guard from elements.

4 hours. Voltage sits at 14.6, with variance from 14.5-14.7. Rock solid, super happy with the results.

Had to re-think some of the routing, the cables are incredibly rigid, so it just didn't want to go under the air-box and up to the right battery, so I opted just to go over, then on the left side I have the cables go down and loop upwards to the battery, which I actually prefer then what the stock was doing.

Reactions: Gator1 and 59turbo

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
New batteries, and fresh thicker cable will do wonders! I also did this but mounted mine under the bed, and ran the thickest cable and there is zero voltage drop from battery to starter or fuse box!(y)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Vendor
14,942 Posts
Hi paul good to see your work. but for future reference, this post would be more of a Non-Powertrain type of thread.

·
Registered
710 Posts
New batteries, and fresh thicker cable will do wonders! I also did this but mounted mine under the bed, and ran the thickest cable and there is zero voltage drop from battery to starter or fuse box!(y)
have any pictures of that install?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi paul good to see your work. but for future reference, this post would be more of a Non-Powertrain type of thread.
ahh. Gotcha. Sorry about that.

Reactions: tryNto

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I made my own cables a few years ago. I used 2/0 welding cable . It’s very flexible and easy to route.

On batteries I have 3 optima batteries yellow tops in farm equipment, they have been great. One tractor sat all winter. I usually try to Start and use them every so often even if I don’t need them. But I forgot. It was time to mow and I wondered if it would turn over . I turned it on listened for the glow plug relay to shut off and it stared right up.

Base on research I did a few years ago. Some people claim optima battery Quality went down when they closed their manufacturing plant in the USA and moved it to Mexico. I believe they were bought out buy Johnson. All 3 of my batteries are Mexican made and so far I’ve not had one problem.

In my opinion one of the best batteries for these truck is Odyssey. They have a 950cca and mine tested at 1,400 but they are very expensive and not worth the extra expense unless you have a high load on the system.

That’s a old video of my little 4100 with a optima yellow top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.