Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Opps, I put gasoline in my diesel.

10605 Views 40 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  Camaro_79us
OK...what was I thinking? (I'm a woman after all) I drove for 1 mile before it quit. Tried to restart but it didn't. Then realized what I had done!!! Towed it to my mechanic. He's a great guy but not a diesel mechanic. He's draining the tank and flushing the system. We're hoping not to have to replace the VP44. Are there other parts that should be replaced that might not cause the engine to run poorly now but will show damage in time? I guess you need to know that I drive a 2002 Dodge Ram extended cab, 2500 Cummins 24 valve inline 6 5.9L, 6 speed manual, 4X4 with no modifications.
The second issue is that I've experience dead pedal for the last year. However, the truck seems to run almost normal once it warms up. From all that I've read,this is not typical of the VP44 failure? Any comments other than what a dummy I am?:
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Hope it is easy fix for you, I'm a first time diesel owner too. little over one year. I know that crossed my mind a few times what would happen if I put in gas? not used to grabbing the green handle! Will be watching what answers you get. Good luck mike

· Registered
182 Posts
if you have already been experiencing dead pedal your vp is more than likely gone or on the way out

· Registered
963 Posts
With todays ULSD our vp44's are already starving for lubrication. The diesel also coools the vp44. By adding gasoline to your tank, im afraid to say but you seized up the vp44, stop throwing any more money on diagnostics, you need a new vp44 and lift pump. The lift pump is usually replaced also, unless its fairly new.
hope this helps.

· Registered
335 Posts
Crap happens. I wouldnt think ud have to replace a lot of things. you can run up to 10 percent gasoline with your diesel to keep it from gelling. Diesel works as a lubricant so your vp didnt have any lubrication donno if that would be enough time to really damage anything. A good cleaning and tank full of diesel and it should run. Just keep an eye on that ip. :thumbsup:

574 Posts
OK...what was I thinking? (I'm a woman after all) I drove for 1 mile before it quit. Tried to restart but it didn't. Then realized what I had done!!! Towed it to my mechanic. He's a great guy but not a diesel mechanic. He's draining the tank and flushing the system. We're hoping not to have to replace the VP44. Are there other parts that should be replaced that might not cause the engine to run poorly now but will show damage in time? I guess you need to know that I drive a 2002 Dodge Ram extended cab, 2500 Cummins 24 valve inline 6 5.9L, 6 speed manual, 4X4 with no modifications.
The second issue is that I've experience dead pedal for the last year. However, the truck seems to run almost normal once it warms up. From all that I've read,this is not typical of the VP44 failure? Any comments other than what a dummy I am?:
My ex-wife did the same thing, except with my 2008 Ram 3500 diesel truck that I had just bought... LOL and that wasn't even the reason we got divorced either.. Nah but seriously, it ran fine after I took the rail off and the high pressure lines as well as dropped the tank and flushed all supply fuel lines and the filter. Runs good today, 160k miles. I'm not worried about it. If you have been dealing with the dead pedal, then yes you will eventually be replacing your VP44. I had an old beat up 2001 that did the same thing. Ran just fine when I got it all warmed up, but would dead pedal randomly while it was cold. :confused013: Replaced the VP44 and lift pump and it was good to go.:thumbsup:

· Registered
963 Posts
Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel already has less lubricant. Adding 10 percent gasoline to your vp44 diesel truck is a really bad idea. When our vp44's were designed for our trucks they were meant to run on LSD.( more lube, more power,more emissions too)

574 Posts
With todays ULSD our vp44's are already starving for lubrication. The diesel also coools the vp44. By adding gasoline to your tank, im afraid to say but you seized up the vp44, stop throwing any more money on diagnostics, you need a new vp44 and lift pump. The lift pump is usually replaced also, unless its fairly new.
hope this helps.
:eek:noz: Calm down LOL. Please don't start another lubrication debate...

· Registered
141 Posts
Sparky88,
Don't go beatin yourself for grabbin the wrong handle. I did the same thing a few years ago with my '01. Only thing that saved me was I still had 3/8 of a tank of good " fuel" & an observant patron in front of me. I killed my truck, as it was running while I refueled, & called a diesel shop. We pulled my truck 1/2 mile, did not help the already ailing stock auto tranny, drained the tank, got 3 spare filters, put enough goo fuel in tank to get me back to the flying hook & filled up with the right stuff this time. My truck ran for quite a while before I had to replace the VP44. Although it did run like a scalded ape untill I got all the gas out, it did eventually kill mi VP. Hopefully this is all that has died on you as you did not mention if it would turn over or not. I myself would not intentionally run any amount of gas through my vp.

· Registered
628 Posts
Accidentally putting gas in my truck has crossed my mind/freaked me out too. Hopefully its all good.

· Registered
335 Posts
lol didnt say i do it in mine. Just stating thats a common practice.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys are great. Thanks for all the responses and encouragement. I'll know in a couple of days what damage my error caused. I suspected the VP44 was going to need replacing eventually and when I do, I will be getting a gauge also to help keep the new VP44 running strong. Along with my original question of the possible long term effects of my stupid error, I 'd like someone to explain what took place in my engine when it died. It turned over but wouldn't engage. Did the pump quit and it was robbed of fuel? Could someone explain the mechanics of what actually took place? Thanks again.

· Registered
628 Posts
Oh by the way, i think its cool she drives a diesel, 4x4, SIX SPEED!:shock: How 's the truck any updates ?
Yea, thats hott. :thumbsup:
One thing you should think about is a programmer that will display your fuel pressure. I was going to do a comp box and a pillar pod with fuel pressure, pyro and boost but I got a great deal on my Edge Juice w/att. You can knock out a programmer for better mileage and power and ur monitoring all in one.

· Registered
2,164 Posts
Along with my original question of the possible long term effects of my stupid error, I 'd like someone to explain what took place in my engine when it died. It turned over but wouldn't engage. Did the pump quit and it was robbed of fuel? Could someone explain the mechanics of what actually took place? Thanks again.
"The gasoline will cause damage to the injection pump due to lack of lubricity. If mixed with diesel will cause higher combustion temperatures and can cause valve damage, piston scoring and heating problems with the engine. If run for too long an engine will fail, especially if pulling heavy loads due to the higher temperature. Straight gasoline in a diesel engine will not run for long if it can be started and will be permanently damaged..."

thats what THEY say... i know of a few people that have done this, drain/flush, replace filters, and giver er hell! course thats mostly catching it, and the truck didnt die yet....

im ALWAYS worried about putting the wrong fuel in... i drive two black rams... one gas one diesel, and i litterly switch between em every other day...:confused013:

· Registered
54 Posts
I did the same thing[ put gas in] bout 4 gals,
I imediatly put 2 cycle oil in and filled w/ diesel and change filter, put a little extra 2 cycle in, when truck
got down to 3/4 tank refueled and added 2cycle and changed filter, then ran to 1/2 tank and did the same
seems ok but ya never know:confused013:

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, here's probably where you all stop talking to me...who's Bill Nye?

· Lifetime Member
477 Posts
Bill Nye, the science guy... he's a television actor that is also a chemist. he does a lot of educational and fun experiments geared towards getting kids interested in science....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.