Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the diesel world and looking for a programmer for my 06 mega cab. I'm looking for more mpg's and some towing power. Any suggestions? I have been looking at the quadzilla adrenaline. I posted the last one in the wrong year opps.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
All in how much you wanna spend.... Best if you got the Ching Ching - EFI Live, Best for a good price IMO - Bully Dog Triple Dog. You should be able to find a BD for under $300 and make good power & better mileage :thumbsup:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Smarty is the way to go. The reason I don't like EFI live is you have to learn the software or drive with only one tune. Or have to get ahold of your tuner to swap between tunes. I drive with a 130 HP tune but tow on the 60 hp tune. Takes 10 mins to swap between the 2 and I can control my torque, timing, rail pressure...

Reactions: fastforrest934

·
Gear Nerd
1,925 Posts
Smarty is the way to go. The reason I don't like EFI live is you have to learn the software or drive with only one tune. Or have to get ahold of your tuner to swap between tunes.
Not true. With EFI Live you can have up to 4 tunes in the module at a time, and switch between them at the press of a button.

But yes, for those who don't have access to a good tuner shop and/or who don't know a lot about the internal operations of an engine (i.e. how much fuel at which RPM and air pressure, etc) then go with a Smarty.

The Jr's are cheaper, but the big boys are where the real fun comes in. All depends on your budget and desires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
With the smarty jr does it have a display to monitor your egt's and other important information? I dont have a good shop here to help that i know of. The one I talked to said they were using the quadzilla and having good luck with it. I just looked at the smarty jr and may go woth that.

·
Gear Nerd
1,925 Posts
Pretty sure it doesn't, But a set of quality gauges really should be #1 on the list
:agree2:

Smarty is a programmer, not a gauge. You need real gauges, no matter what any of the "fancy display" programmers provide you with. Some of those only show you what the ECM *thinks* a value is, and not the true value.

Reactions: Midnight Smoker

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
No.. For best results with any programmer you are going to want at least a pyro(exhaust gas temperature) gauge. If you have auto transmission you will need a transmission temp gauge as well. No matter what the tuner companies tell you or advertise analog gauges are ALWAYS more reliable as well as more accurate.. Fuel pressure and boost gauges are great also but egt and trans temp will be the ones that save your engine or trans.

·
Gear Nerd
1,925 Posts
Looks like there is going to be some over time at work :hehe:
I work more hours so I can afford more mods so I can work more hours so I can afford more mods. It's a vicious cycle, and you're just about to get hooked. ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've tried the BullyDog TD on my truck, and as far as mileage, it didn't make a lick of difference. Power adjustments were definitely there, however, I do not have gauges, and I felt like I was risking my transmission.

I'm leary about putting gauges in the truck as they aren't easy to remove for warranty work. I've got my warranty until 180,000km so... 40,000 more kms and we'll be looking into it.. :)

·
Gear Nerd
1,925 Posts
Gauges won't void your warranty.

·
Registered
116 Posts
No, guages do not void your warranty... I agree with that, however it's a 'sure sign' that you are pushing your truck above stock levels... I've had issues with the dealer up here, and don't want that fight on my hands.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.