1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Where's my sparkplugs????
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
541 Posts
Could be timing rattle. If it doesnt do it without the electronics then I doubt a dampner is going to fix it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I get a chatter if i turn on my Dr. Performance (timing). So I would say its a timing chatter.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Common with all timing programs. Won't hurt anything--Just get used to it.

Randy

·
Registered
541 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yeah I was told it was nothing to worry about. I only turn it on when I need to smoke a powerstroke and ricer's!! :peelout:peelout

·
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No way around it then and Is this true that Smarty doesn't cause this? Thanks..

·
Registered
541 Posts
No way around it then and Is this true that Smarty doesn't cause this? Thanks..
All I know is that the Smarty is the only thing Im running and I cant hear any rattle. I've put it on level 5 which has added timing and there is no timing noise that I can hear.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
All I know is that the Smarty is the only thing Im running and I cant hear any rattle. I've put it on level 5 which has added timing and there is no timing noise that I can hear.
Can you actually hear the engine over the muffler delete?

I was young once, and liked the loudness. Now that I'm a little older--I like the muffler.:lol3:

Randy

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yeah I can hear it no problem.

·
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A muffler delete with the cat is not loud at all. I can be cruising at 75 and my wife and I can converse without any problems.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Can you actually hear the engine over the muffler delete?

I was young once, and liked the loudness. Now that I'm a little older--I like the muffler.:lol3:

Randy
Yes DAD, I can hear over the muffler delete. Ha, ha, just kidding! Im coming up on 37 so Im not that young:T: Seriously though, he has pretty much the same set up as me and the muffler delete isnt really that loud. Im one of those people that hears and worries about every little noise. Especially on my $40K truck. I was told that I might hear some timing rattle but so far I havent. And I just had my anual hearing test so I know Im not going deaf. If it is there its very minor. Im wondering if the older trucks like yours react to the extra timing differently than mine. And when you do hear it, is it from the smarty alone or in conjunction with the TST.

·
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd like to try a Smarty to test this because I'm the same way when it comes to noises. Wish they had a try before you buy like BD.. :(

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'd like to try a Smarty to test this because I'm the same way when it comes to noises. Wish they had a try before you buy like BD.. :(
Yea, no kidding. I love my Smarty. The power is smooth, egts are low, idles great. No complaints what so ever. Too bad you didnt live closer cause I'd let you check it out.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Yes DAD, I can hear over the muffler delete. Ha, ha, just kidding! Im coming up on 37 so Im not that young:T: Seriously though, he has pretty much the same set up as me and the muffler delete isnt really that loud. Im one of those people that hears and worries about every little noise. Especially on my $40K truck. I was told that I might hear some timing rattle but so far I havent. And I just had my anual hearing test so I know Im not going deaf. If it is there its very minor. Im wondering if the older trucks like yours react to the extra timing differently than mine. And when you do hear it, is it from the smarty alone or in conjunction with the TST.
My TST hasn't been turned on for a while. I have only use it when I raced last fall. But to be able to run my TST, which is the older R-37 model, I have to set my Smarty to an even # no timing setting.
My engine is an SO, less compression so it may very well have something to do with the rattle.

Randy

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I thought I read a while back that Bob had a 30 day return policy if you didn't like it. You might send him a pm to check.
But believe me, you won't return it!:thumbsup

Randy

·
Registered
541 Posts
My TST hasn't been turned on for a while. I have only use it when I raced last fall. But to be able to run my TST, which is the older R-37 model, I have to set my Smarty to an even # no timing setting.
My engine is an SO, less compression so it may very well have something to do with the rattle.

Randy
That makes sense. I dont know much about the difference in our motors but I hear more people talk about timing rattle that have the older motors. I also think that the programming in the newer version of the Smartys may be different as well. And thanks for not taking offense to the "dad" comment. I was just kidding with you:thumbsup:beer

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
That makes sense. I dont know much about the difference in our motors but I hear more people talk about timing rattle that have the older motors. I also think that the programming in the newer version of the Smartys may be different as well. And thanks for not taking offense to the "dad" comment. I was just kidding with you:thumbsup:beer
None taken. I'm 45--someone's gotta look out for you young whipper-snappers!

Randy

·
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought I read a while back that Bob had a 30 day return policy if you didn't like it. You might send him a pm to check.
But believe me, you won't return it!:thumbsup

Randy
I'll check it out, thanks.. :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 21 Posts