Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
From what I understand my trans temp isn’t too hot compared to what most people run while towing (190-205 but cools back down to 170 on highway). Like I said before I could definitely be wrong but I’d like it to be a little cooler to prevent anything from breaking or getting worse. If there is a problem causing the heat. What would be my first step? I also think an extra preventative measure for cooling would only be beneficial.

Thanks again everybody for the advice and knowledge. Y’all are helping me out a ton

·
Registered
951 Posts
You are not going to hurt the engine with rpm, heat cycles is what get to 53 blocks. Some blocks are good though, it's luck of the draw.

Most of the heat is being made in the converter, if it's bad all the cooling you can throw at it wont do much, it will still cook the fluid in the converter. Under 200 isn't terrible, depending where your sensor is.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks. What are some side affects of a bad TC so I can figure out what the plan is. I’d rather not buy a new one but if that’s what it takes. Is there a way I can rebuild mine or at least give it some attention? And what is a ballpark for that kind of work? I don’t remember where my sensor is but I will try and look in the morning.

I bought a new radiator today and got it installed with fresh fluid. I have to pull a trailer about an hour drive through the mountains tomorrow so I will see how it performs.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
If the TC is slipping when lockup it is bad. Excessive load can do the same. That would be the main reason for an up graded TC. The heat is usually caused by it not being in lockup when it should either, because of electrical, solenoid or TC issues. Fluid passing through a TC not in lockup causes most of the heat, A TC in lockup stops fluid flow and thus the extra heat.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Was the old radiator dirty in the outer core when you removed it?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Thanks bigfish, I think my TC still has some life in it but I will consider an upgrade in the future. The old radiator was filthy and had a couple leaks. While it was out, I went ahead and cleaned as much as I could.

Today was the real test. I pulled about 8k lbs through some steep mountains and tight roads. The engine temp stayed below 190 so that problem is solved. While driving, the trans temp stayed lower than 185 on backroads but cooled back down to 170 on highway. I played with OD and figured out when to use and when not to and that seemed to help a lot with temps. It did hit 200 while I was filling up but cooled down once on the road.

Now that I can keep everything cool. I am able to push the truck a little bit further. For the most part, it had plenty of power. There were a couple grades where it would’ve been nice to have another gear but oh well.

I don’t know if elevation has anything to do with fuel pressure but I saw a slight drop when I really had to get on it. I can usually keep it above 9psi but it hit 8 a couple times today. Doesn’t seem like a big deal right now. Just curious

21 - 26 of 26 Posts