Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,

I've got an '01 2500 and having just installed an Airdog I was really looking forward to really seeing what my Edge Juice w/Attitude would do! Turn out the boost only peaks around 18-19 psi. I thought even stock would run 20 psi?

Other than the Airdog 150 and Edge programmer, my truck is 100% stock. Also, my EGTs hit 1400 on a 0-60 run. Is that normal?

Any helpful info. would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Tommy

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
should be pushing around 34 35psi did you in stall the elbow with the edge ? that low psi probly why you egts are high :thumbsup

·
Registered
529 Posts
A 4" or 5" exhaust and a aftermarket intake should lower your EGT's. Im not sure on 2nd gens boost numbers.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The brass elbow doesn't install with an '01 (according to my instructions). A 4" exhaust in the plan, but I can't imagine it would be constricting the boost this much!

Tommy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey y'all,

I've got an '01 2500 and having just installed an Airdog I was really looking forward to really seeing what my Edge Juice w/Attitude would do! Turn out the boost only peaks around 18-19 psi. I thought even stock would run 20 psi?

Other than the Airdog 150 and Edge programmer, my truck is 100% stock. Also, my EGTs hit 1400 on a 0-60 run. Is that normal?

Any helpful info. would be much appreciated!
I am gettin 30-32 with just the smarty on 9 and the wastgate plugged egt's 900

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
plug off your wastegate and you will see close to 30. that is what i did.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It sounds simply that you have a auotmatic. If so buy a J-Hook or turn buckler and get the leaver on the wastegate clamped down.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Stock form I used to pull about 18-19 PSI worth of boost. But with the Edge comp on 5x5 I can turn out nearly 35 PSI worth of boost.

Make sure you wastegate is stuck open, the boost elbow is installed, no boost leaks, etc...

·
Registered
550 Posts
mine stock will boost 26 psi but i also have a j-hook and with the comp box on 5+5 i run 37psi and pullin a loaded trailer ive seen about 40 psi

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
mine stock will boost 26 psi but i also have a j-hook and with the comp box on 5+5 i run 37psi and pullin a loaded trailer ive seen about 40 psi
Becareful... Anthing over 35 PSI is nothing more that a hot charge. Especially for a HY35..:w:

·
Registered
550 Posts
could you explaine more about the hot charge i'm not familar with that i'm afriad ur gunna tell me its upgrade time. thanks for the info so far tho this is a great site.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
could you explaine more about the hot charge i'm not familar with that i'm afriad ur gunna tell me its upgrade time. thanks for the info so far tho this is a great site.
turbos have efficiency ranges just like anything else. a stock turbo is good for about 35psi. anything higher is out of it's efficiency range and is basically just super hot air.
if you want more than 35psi, then it's time to start looking at an upgrade.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stock form I used to pull about 18-19 PSI worth of boost. But with the Edge comp on 5x5 I can turn out nearly 35 PSI worth of boost.

Make sure you wastegate is stuck open, the boost elbow is installed, no boost leaks, etc...
Thanks, Michael, but the instructions said NOT to install the brass boost elbow, not to mention there was no place to install it. So I followed the instructions and left it out.

I wouldn't suspect a boost leak. It pulls 18-19 psi on "stock" all the way through "extreme" settings. I wouldn't think it would pull full stock boost with a leak, would it?

I also wouldn't think I need to rig anything on my wastegate to get boost in the 30+ range. Shouldn't the programmer control that??

Tommy

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Thanks, Michael, but the instructions said NOT to install the brass boost elbow, not to mention there was no place to install it. So I followed the instructions and left it out.

I wouldn't suspect a boost leak. It pulls 18-19 psi on "stock" all the way through "extreme" settings. I wouldn't think it would pull full stock boost with a leak, would it?

Opps my bad...:w: The HY35 doesn't have the threaded hole for the boost elbow so you need a J-hook to hold the waste gate shut so you can build boost... The wastegate is tune to open up and dump drive pressure so it CANNOT exceed 19 PSI...

I also wouldn't think I need to rig anything on my wastegate to get boost in the 30+ range. Shouldn't the programmer control that??

The enhancement box fools the computer from seeing anything above 19 PSI and allows to build more fuel then... But the wastegate controls how much the turbo can build...:w:

Tommy
My 2 cents in blue...:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
the j hook mod will definitly increase youre boost levels :)

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
Am I incorrect in saying the 01 w/an auto needs a j-hook?

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
Well that was a dumb reply, I guess I should see if there was a second page first:thud::thud::thud:

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Am I incorrect in saying the 01 w/an auto needs a j-hook?
no sir you are not

if you have an HY-35 turbo ya need a j hook

the HY dont use a boost elbow like the HX does:thumbsup

1 - 20 of 35 Posts