Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have landed on 2 trucks. Both 2006 4x4 quads. Simliar add-ons one difference- Auto and manual.
First- I tow heavy 10% of the time for short distances, based on capability, durability and dependability which would you choose? Auto or 6 spd stick? The other 90% is carrying a load or cruising. How are the 48re trannies holding up?

Second- the fuel issue with these trucks(contamination, wrecking motors and injectors) is it a major concern or will diligent maintenance keep me safe? Did Dodge fix the problem with a recall?

Thanks so much for the responses. I hope to repay the favor someday.
Lusty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,965 Posts
The stick vs. auto is a personal decision. For me, I enjoy driving a stick and I figured the $1200 to upgrade to a DD clutch seemed much better than $5000-$8000 for a built tranny.

As for the injector issues there are upgraded ones, but most 5.9's will only have them if they had an injector problem and they were replaced by the dealer. Good fuel filtering (Baldwin PF7977 is the best drop-in filter), and not raising RP too high are 2 things you can do to keep your injectors happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
I like the auto's in both my Dodge's. I pull a 23k# trailer doing my tractor work and mostly pull in town . I commute to my regular job (46 mile round trip) also and am glad not to be shifting constantly in traffic. My 03 is completely stock and has never seen a shop except for recalls. My 06's torque converter is not happy at the moment but it has been abused by programmers:headbang:. If you only pull 10% of the time and run empty the rest of the time than I think you would like the auto unless you just like to row through the gears. It really is a matter of personal preferance. I've had 6 manual tranny trucks and have liked them all except in traffic or when you have a busted ankle or shoulder:lol4:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankfully I don't have anything broken. I agree it is nice not to shift gears all the time, although the 6spd gives the big rig feel. Is the auto as dependable as the stick? I know repairs cost more, but I have seen many trucks for sale with 150kplus miles in an 06 w/ auto. I guess maintenence and driving habits play a big part? How does the 06 auto handle the 23klbs? Hills mostly.
Lusty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
It pulls great, you just need to learn how your truck handles in certain gears. For example, I don't pull in OD unless it is fairly flat and Im going at least 65-70 mph, if I drop below 65 I manually turn off the OD to keep it from down shifting on it's own. If im pulling in a hilly area I just leave the OD off and let it rev. My 03 has a heavy trailer on it at least 30-40% of the time and does great, especially since it has not been maintained as well as it should be. Don't be afraid to let the rpm's rev up and you will be ok, alot of people try to keep their rpm's down too low when pulling and burn up their tranny and it is hard on the engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
As far as dependability, it comes down to how you drive and how much added power you have going to it. You will hear alot of different opinions on these boards but as a general rule 60 added hp or less seems to be the line on the auto's and 70-100 hp on the stock clutch. Again it depends on your driving habits and overall luck. I have been very lucky with my 06 considering the amount of times it has been down the track(4wd boosted launches at 2k rpm) and the loads that I pull.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top