Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has been asked before so if there is somewhere you can direct me about this subject, it would be great. This is kinda my plan, I have a 10 gal tank installed already and am going to use it for tires, possible horns, and to blow myself off. Dual viair 480's is reccommended but 400 dollars turns me off. I have heard of the underhood air but have not seen pics so I wonder about this. What do you guys think? Not much room under the hood for much. Info and pics would be great if you have them.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there anywhere that I can read up on this subject? How much is it looking to cost you to put it on?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I am building a system using a york ac compressor, much cheaper and will keep up with air tools.
Driven by the accessory belt? I plan to get onboard air eventually, so I'm trying to figure out a less expensive way than to just buy a system all together.

What should I look for in the A/C compressor? And in what stuff would I find one? How do you keep the oil in the compressor so it doesn't break?

Pressure switches and tanks I understand, but compressors are not something I am well read up on.

·
Registered
742 Posts
What should I look for in the A/C compressor? And in what stuff would I find one? How do you keep the oil in the compressor so it doesn't break?
The York 2-piston a/c compressor you can find in old Volvos.
Pre-1984/85 if I'm not mistaken.

It's basically a small two cylinder block.
Crankshaft at the bottom, with an oil plug on the side for filling up.
The pistons have one ring each... which "kind of" keeps the oil in the crankcase.

As for valves, they're the "flapper valves" type. (Are these called "Reed valves"?)

Hope that helps somewhat!
:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts