Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody mount a compressor(s) for on board air (OBA)? Curious what you all have had good luck/experience with.

I’ve run across VIAIR and ARB units.

I’m leaning toward a dual compressor setup so I could use air tools if desired as well to be able to air up gooseneck or 5er tires a bit faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
The one I had on my last truck looked like a viair one but I'm 99% sure it was a knock off version of them. It was plumbed into a 5 gallon air tank and ran my air suspension, train horns and used it for filling tires and releasing air brakes on trailers. Being a single compressor it wasnt super fast but was ways faster then the small plug in 12v compressors. The air tank helped a lot and the compressor would run non stop for half hour that I know of and was still going strong after 4 years when I got rid of the truck. My only regrets are not taking the air system off the truck before it left

05 3500 quad cab DRW flatbed, 6 speed 4x4, Edge CS Juice w/ Attitude, gooseneck, 5th wheel and bumper hitches. *WROTE OFF*

16 Ram Power Wagon 4x4 crew cab, no mods yet...

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
You might want to look into getting a 100% Duty Cycle compressor, that way you shouldn't have many issues with it.
I'll be getting one when my current compressor quits.
Not sure about the Duty Cycle of the compressor I have on the truck I drive daily, however it has been on there for the last 10 years & it's been used daily & still going. I just need to get a larger air tank.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might want to look into getting a 100% Duty Cycle compressor, that way you shouldn't have many issues with it.

I'll be getting one when my current compressor quits.

Not sure about the Duty Cycle of the compressor I have on the truck I drive daily, however it has been on there for the last 10 years & it's been used daily & still going. I just need to get a larger air tank.

What size tank you going to go with?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got the viair twin 100% duty cycle kit but haven't installed it yet. I was planning to put it all under the truck on the passenger side but worry about the compressors under there with the salt they put on the roads here. Wheres everyone else mounting the compressor? Now I'm thinking the tank under the truck and the compressors in the bed under my tool box. Just worried about theft if they show.
James

·
Registered
251 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm looking at a 5 gallon tank minimum.

10 gallons would be better.

I was told 5 min...not sure how the amount of room will be under there...to get compressors and tank in a good secure area. If 10 would be doable

·
Registered
251 Posts
I got the viair twin 100% duty cycle kit but haven't installed it yet. I was planning to put it all under the truck on the passenger side but worry about the compressors under there with the salt they put on the roads here. Wheres everyone else mounting the compressor? Now I'm thinking the tank under the truck and the compressors in the bed under my tool box. Just worried about theft if they show.
James
You might want to look into finding a plastic housing or two to contain the compressor & tank. There by keeping tank and compressor semi- protected from road salt. Mounting the compressor in the bed under the bed box presents it's own issues, collecting water & debris around the mounting points. Again a plastic housing would be a good idea.
Now depending on what all is inside the bed box, maybe you could mount the compressor inside it. It would keep it safe, & fairly debris free. Still look into a housing to protect it. Look into bulkhead fittings to go through the box, & remote mount the quick connect, & a tank drain ball valve. Use a ball valve as a tank drain as the little 1/4" npr valves are crap & don't last long. Just a few ideas & observations.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Check out Extreme Outback Products. All very good compressors, just decide how much air you need/want.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well got my OBA setup done today. Decided with ARB. Have a quick disconnect for air hose tucked up near hitch. It’s run through a relay off my AUX #5 switch.

Looks factory.

·
Premium Member
3,686 Posts
I like the mechanical compressor that came with my bus engine.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks good! Are you able to run air tools off of it as well?

I should be a able to. Granted not for extended durations all in one shot. But should be doable ina case of an emergency for a trailer flat, etc.

·
Registered
337 Posts
That would be the best option! I wonder if there is one to fit a 6.7?

James
Unfortunately not the pickup model of 6.7. The heavy truck version of the 6.7 does have the option of a gear driven compressor.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts