Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well this is my first diesel truck. its a 96 3500 dodge dually .
I just took it on my first trip and it got 15mpg with a empty 28ft trailer Enclosed race trailer and 13 mpgcomming back loaded does this seam about right? cruse control was set at 65 there and back . chattanogga tn to detroit mich
only thing done to truck was previous owner took the exshaust off and straight piped it and I put a K&N filter in it...... Now I live on a mountain so localy I drive up and down alot and i get 15 here with no trailer .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the welcome... And for the answer.... I switched from a 2500 hd gas burner and the cummins get alot better towing but lacks some power on the mountains with the load....but over all Im very happy with it ... heck what can i exspect with just over 300,000 miles...

·
I wanna go fast...
3,475 Posts
Find a couple threads on adjusting the p-pump and you will not be complaining about the power:peelout...BTW :welcome:

·
Registered
135 Posts
:welcome: First thing I did to mine was put in a fuel plate and boost elbow and it made a world of difference and easy to do:thumbsup

·
Registered
139 Posts
:welcome::thumbsup Put a #10 plate in it full forward, starwheel full forward, world of difference in power!!!:welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I have been reading some of the post. And Have been thinking about some of those small increases .. Just dont want to push the tranny to far...lol I have been reading there alittle weak.. But thanks ... I know I need something 55mph on hills is no good when the semis are trying to run over me...

·
Registered
656 Posts
I take it since you mentioned a "weak" trans your truck is a auto?

Start saving now for trans parts and put back extra the more mods you do.

I highly recommend Davd Georend Goerend Transmission Incorporated for trans parts.

See if you can find a local diesel shop to advance your timing on the pump to 16*, change your fuel & air filters if you haven't already, get some gauges FIRST, then slide you stock plate forward and install a boost elbow. That should give you a noticeable increase until you can afford to help the trans keep up with more.:thumbsup

·
Registered
149 Posts
Have you serviced the transmission? I mean more than just new fluid and filter. Many owners do not do this according to the book, every 35000 miles. May be a good idea to have a shop go over it, adjust internals and create a zero point for you. These transmissions are fine for the duty that they were designed for. "Weak" refers to the damage that can be done with high HP modified engines and full fuel launches, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Trans question

Hey, Quick trans question.

My 01 has 61,000k and if I hammer it

when it goes to shift it fells like it is

falling on its face till it shifts.

Later,
Shane

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey Mod--would you please move Smoke-ring to the right forum please?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts