Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a mechanical cable for my fuel shutdown instead of the selenoid. i can turn the ignition off and leave the truck running. i like to do this on high idle to warm it up in the cold mornings so that the steering stays locked while its running. my question is will this hurt anything to have the alternator spinning with the ignition off??
thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
'bout the only things it will hurt are fuel mileage, alternator won't charge and you if you forget to turn that switch back on when you drive off. With alternator not charging and grid heaters cycling, you gonna pull a lot out of batteries and not put any back. It's probably quite chilly where you are, so I would leave the switch on just to charge batteries. Just out of curiousity, why do you want steering locked?

Reactions: bvt

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
'bout the only things it will hurt are fuel mileage, alternator won't charge and you if you forget to turn that switch back on when you drive off. With alternator not charging and grid heaters cycling, you gonna pull a lot out of batteries and not put any back. It's probably quite chilly where you are, so I would leave the switch on just to charge batteries. Just out of curiousity, why do you want steering locked?
maybe so security reasons?:confused013:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just wanted to have the steering locked because i had a couple of buddies have their trucks stolen from a parking lot while they where warming up. i figured it would make it harder to steel. would the grid heaters still function with the ignition off? soon as i left the driveway i would have to turn the ignition on. thanks for the replies

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
grid heaters would not function with the ignition off, so theirs no issue with killing the batteries, but that brings in the issue of not using the grid heaters...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i use the webasto when its cold out, so its almost at operating temperature when i start it. seems to do fine without the grid heaters. i thought it might damage the alternator or electrical system somehow. i guess i'm good to go. thank you for the replies

1 - 6 of 6 Posts