Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have my 96 ctd with 91000 miles on it i have no fuel plate starwheel cranked and the smoke screw in a few turns with a plugged wastegate n a new clutch.. i now bought a bhaf and a mbrp exhaust 4 inch straight back.. all i have on now is a cone filter n just my stock down pipe.. these parts will be in this week but i want to get some advice on the 3gsk or 4gsk.. not sure what one to go with any advice and input will help

·
Registered
24 Posts
go with the 4k. once u put the 3's in, ur gonna go about 3 days n want to go more, so u might as well only do it once. you dont necessarily need the 60# valve springs, but u gotta watch u dont run er over 3200 rpms.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i was thinkin about doing the 4k and seeing how i like it n if i did then swappng the valve springs.. is there any other mods or parts i need for the safety of my motor doing this spring swap?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok i was thinkin about doing the 4k and seeing how i like it n if i did then swappng the valve springs.. is there any other mods or parts i need for the safety of my motor doing this spring swap?

·
Registered
24 Posts
only the valve springs if ur goin over 3200rpms. a fluiddampr harmonic balancer might smooth it out a little, but i dont think they are NEEDED until 5k, which u'll never do with a street truck. what are your goals for the truck?

·
Registered
24 Posts
oh n do u have gauges? these 12 valves get HOT real fast after about 2500 rpms. n pushin more fuel u'll melt er down in a hurry

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well my goal is to have a non-rigged legitamate truck that can be capable of pullin up on another diesel and runnin it.. i dont want a full blown race truck just a truck that can be daily and be able to get on it and be happy lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
well im pretty happy with the way my truck runs. its no monster but it fits my needs, i can tow what i need to n its alot of fun to drive empty. there are a couple things that'll change when u put the springs in, first, u might need to adjust ur idle, i didnt. it idles kinda low, but i really dont mind givin it a little throttle to start, its all in ur preference. second, the throttle's prolly gonna be a little touchy until u get used to it. what for a clutch did u put in it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just a auto part store heavy duty clutch it doesnt slip like my old one did so im happy but is the spring swap hard thats the only thing thats discouraging me too do it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The spring swap is not bad at all I used a screw type valve spring compressor and it was a easy as pie just run the cylinder your working on up to TDC and take the spring off the valve will only move an 1/8th inch or so and reinstall your spring the 5 and 6 cylinder dont have much room but its managable

·
Registered
24 Posts
u should get directions with the kit, its really not that bad, just take ur time n make sure u write the measurements down for both studs, get all the shims out, n that u dont drop anything in the pump. when i did mine, the longest part was gettin the plug to start threading back in lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts