Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure if in correct section.... Im wondering what all yall use for your oil changes. what brand and so fourth....

·
Registered
42 Posts
jon111-- To protect your engine and all of the new emissions crap you have to use a low ash oil with spec API CJ4. Chevron makes a great oil called DELO 400 LE (Low Emissions) that will work for you.

API CJ4 is the latest requirement for low emission diesel vehicles. Your warranty probably requires it. I have 1500 miles on my new '08 and this is probably the oil I'll use.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jon111-- To protect your engine and all of the new emissions crap you have to use a low ash oil with spec API CJ4. Chevron makes a great oil called DELO 400 LE (Low Emissions) that will work for you.

API CJ4 is the latest requirement for low emission diesel vehicles. Your warranty probably requires it. I have 1500 miles on my new '08 and this is probably the oil I'll use.
appreciate the info. i was told 15/40 ash free is what it takes. i will deffinetly look into the chevron oil. thanks again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
ive just poured in Amsoils cj-4 premium diesel in my truck with a bmk-21 bypass

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Schaeffer's supreme 9000 cj-4 5w-40 synthetic with fs-2500 and fleetguard stratapore filter.
Will send in next uoa at 15000 miles on oil.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just changed mine with Valvoline Premium Blue. It has the Cummins logo on the bottle and is endorsed by Cummins. I know that it is probably no different than any other, but for warranty purposes it feels better pouring in oil with the cummins logo staring back at you. NAPA gold filters are very good as well.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
me too, I am a big fan of Valvoline Blue, 15w-40

·
Registered
454 Posts
I use Rotella-T 15w-40, i use this in my semi's and is suggested for use in pick-up trucks too, i actually used rotella in my 97 2500 gasser and it stopped the oil loss of the motor. It had 275,000 miles on it and is good oil. I took oil samples out of one of the semi engines and they guy that analysis the oil samples said that rotella is the best for diesel engines, he has seen everything from Amsoils to valvoline and he was the most impressed with how the rotella held up on a molecular level.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
i'm going to always use amsoil, first in synthetic's and has been around forever and will be a dealer shortly. in all reality it's personal preference, i'd rather spend more in my oils than spend even more in rebuilds.

·
Registered
146 Posts
hey, is it okay to use cj-4 oil on my truck (2000 24 valve) i already bought it and i did not notice that it was the cj-4 oil.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yes, CJ-4 is backwards compatible, but it's actually inferior to CI-4+ in anti wear additives based on the needs of the DPF. If you don't have a DPF, use CI-4+ rated oil. I used Texaco Ursa 15-40 for my first oil change since I bought the truck, but will flush it and use Amsoil Series 3000 5W-30 in the fall.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
AMSOIL DEO 5W40 CJ-4 is what I'd recommend for the 6.7 Cummins. It is a true Group IV synthetic, where as Premium Blue Extreme and Rotella T synthetics are just Group III oils.

-Chuck

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
jayhaitch "Yes, CJ-4 is backwards compatible, but it's actually inferior to CI-4+ in anti wear additives based on the needs of the DPF. "
This is debatable.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
duluth diesel "It is a true Group IV synthetic, where as Premium Blue Extreme and Rotella T synthetics are just Group III oils."
pao vs. GIII alone does not make an oil better or worse. GIII test out in some areas as good as if not better than pao's.....and lets not forget additives, tbn retention, and miscibility.

·
Registered
139 Posts
What's the deal with the Valvoline with the Cummins certification on it. Is it mostly for the newer to new diesels?
Let's say last 5 years to now? Just bought my 98 with 167,000 on it & no leaks that I've found. Just replaced the fuel filter & need to change the oil & filter.

What to buy?:$:
Dave3500

·
Registered
389 Posts
Salesrep: educate me please. I thought CI-4+ oils with TBN 12 are superior to CJ-4 oils with max TBN 8. What other parameters are you looking at?

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Dave3500. It means that Valvoline paid Cummins to put there name on it. That said Cummins would not allow that if the oil did not meet and exceed the specs Cummins has set forth. it is apporoved for pre 07's as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts