Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I run Rotella T6 or Mobil One Turbo Diesel with a K&N 4003 Oil Filter or a Mobil 1 403 Oil Filter. You will get a different answer from everyone, the important thing is to change your oil at the recommended intervals.
I always change my oil early, it just makes me feel better to have fresh oil.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
I run amsoil (15-40) and a fleetguard filter.. fleetguard is getting some great reviews on here about there filtration so i feel safe with them.. i forgot the number though but its fairly easy to find.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I run Rotella T6 or Mobil One Turbo Diesel with a K&N 4003 Oil Filter or a Mobil 1 403 Oil Filter. You will get a different answer from everyone, the important thing is to change your oil at the recommended intervals.
I always change my oil early, it just makes me feel better to have fresh oil.
I agree with you on the oil choice, but a k&n? that is a marginal at best oil filter, you would be better off with a mopar, fleetgaurd or best yet a donaldson.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
You're going to get a dozen different answers. Any oil that's supported by Dodge or Cummins (I use Valvoline Prem. Blue Synth ) because it has the <C>ummins logo on it, and I use Fleetguard filters when I can get them. (Genos, local Cummins store, etc)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Fleetguard filter is key. Cheapest place I have found to get them is Geno's.

When it comes to oil take your pick. Rotella, Mobil Delvac, Delo, Valvoline premium blue - they all work fine and there is really no proof that any one of them is better than the other. Everyone has their opinions but truth is all these oils are great and maintainence schedule is a lot more important than the oil choice. I buy mobil Delvac 1300 because it is slightly cheaper and I can get it at wal mart. Unless you are trying to extend your oil change intervals or drive in really cold conditions I would not waste the money on synthetics. They are better but not needed. Plenty of 18 wheelers run to 1 million miles on good ol mobil delvac.

·
Diesel Filled Veins!
5,375 Posts
There is a fairly current thread already about this. The best response is:

Go to - Bob is the Oil Guy and do your research. You may find what I have found but maybe not. What I found is to run a CJ-4 rated, full synthetic 5-40 engine oil. Brand doesn't matter no matter what anyone says so I won't mention brand. Shell Rotella, Valvoline, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Chevron, whatever floats your boat.

As for filter, I run a Fleetguard LF9028 that includes a bypass filter in it already. You can do a search for that filter on this forum and come up with a lot of good hits. One in particular the guy posting put up pictures of that filter and some other filters (internal pics) sold me on it!

·
Registered
592 Posts
There is a fairly current thread already about this. The best response is:

Go to - Bob is the Oil Guy and do your research. You may find what I have found but maybe not. What I found is to run a CJ-4 rated, full synthetic 5-40 engine oil. Brand doesn't matter no matter what anyone says so I won't mention brand. Shell Rotella, Valvoline, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Chevron, whatever floats your boat.

As for filter, I run a Fleetguard LF9028 that includes a bypass filter in it already. You can do a search for that filter on this forum and come up with a lot of good hits. One in particular the guy posting put up pictures of that filter and some other filters (internal pics) sold me on it!
:agree2: What he said. bobistheoilguy.com is the place to learn about oil!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I am a member of Turbo Diesel Register. Com and this question are often asked by new users of the diesel engines. In the latest quarterly publication Issue 76; an article was printed in this issue on what oil to use. The author went in to detail with testing results and his conclusion being Shell Rotella 15W40 oil.
10 different oils were purchased from Mobil 1 (SYN) to Shell Rotella (SYN) and non synthetic oil such as Mobil Delvac and Shell Rotella 15W40. Oil samples were taken and submitted for testing with results print in the article on the testing results plus cost of the oil. The conclusion being that Shell Rotella is the best oil due to the use of calcium (Ca) detergents in this oil. The author opinion is that Ca is better for detergents than Mg (Magnesium) that is used in other oils.
Jim W.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts