Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check it out..........

I own a 2003 dodge 2500 5.9 turbo cummins diesel.....
When doing a oil change every 7500 miles, I always use the gallon jug ( 3 ) of Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40 oil, and the K & N oil filter. I have always bought both products at either autozone or o'reilly's..... The total cost usually around $ 58.60.......

Did a bit of research online this morning and found that I can get these same items at Napa for a total of $ 42.56 !!

I am a happy man...:) I love getting good deals......

Needless to say... i will be doing all my business at Napa for now on........

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
good deal, napa is a good place to shop. May I ask why you are getting the k&N filter? you would be better off with a fleetgaurd stratapore, baldwin or at best the donaldson/amsoil EAO80. The K&N is a fancy overprice campion filter with a nut on the bottom and k&N on the side.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
was gona ask the same thing. im using the amsoil filter

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use the Mopar filter.... Do you guys recomend the fleetguard or amsoil over the mopar??

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
well i dont know the specs on the mopar off the top of my head but i saw a chart of a bunch of oil filters for our trucks of the filtering specs and such. the amsoil/donaldson was the best so thats what i went with

·
Trying to learn
'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 3.73 4x4
6,427 Posts
Mopar or Fleetguard OE filter: 35um @ 98.7%
Wix Standard: 30um @ 96.6%
Baldwin BT7349: 30um @ 98.7%
Wix XE: 20um @ 95%
Fleetguard Stratapore: 25um @ 98.7%
AmsOil or Donaldson ELF: 20um @ 100%, 15um @ 98.7% *best*

Reactions: el jefe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I use the k & n becuse of the name. I did not do any reserach on it.... i just figured that because of it being a k & n , it would be a good choice.....

If it is crap, i want to use another for sure. Think i will go with the baldwin ...they are sold right down the street from where i work.....

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I use the k & n becuse of the name. I did not do any reserach on it.... i just figured that because of it being a k & n , it would be a good choice.....

If it is crap, i want to use another for sure. Think i will go with the baldwin ...they are sold right down the street from where i work.....
K&N doesnt have a good name anymore, their filters are ok at best for a gas vehicle and horrbile on a turbo diesel, as they have the filtration ratings of a screen door. Search K&N on bobistheoilguy, there is a few tests and comparisons on their products. As for their oil filters they are made by champion labs and basically are a fancy overprice champ filter... run something with quality, baldwin, fleetgaurd, mopar or donaldson/amsoil.

Reactions: rick mccollum

·
Registered
134 Posts
Been using the fleetguard stratapore since owning the truck. I get them from Geno's Garage online but there are plenty of other outlets.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Anyone know what the Mobil 1 specs are?

·
Registered
509 Posts
:agree2: only 15w40 valvoline premium blue and fleetguard stratapore lf16035 fuel filter for my baby

right now my local napa here in nashville, tn has 15w40 valvoline for $9.99 a gallon, i stocked up for a WHILE>.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Im gona check price on my napa for it. As i usually go to kragen and if im lucky its on sale for 10.99$ Gal and normal price is 13.99$ Gal:banghead:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Rotella oil and Fleetguard Stratopore for me. 5gal bucket of Rotella is about $61. Then again...I run Rotella in all 5 of my vehicles...even my streetbike!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts