Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Oil

1459 Views 16 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  fuzzy645
I was thinking about using 10w-40 oil in my truck is that fine or do i need to stick with 15w-40?
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
306 Posts
I would stick with the 15-40 as it is designed for diesel engines and 10-40 is not. I am sure that there will be a lot of opinions on this.

· Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the bottle it said it was designed for diesel engines diesel oil goes from 5w40 to 15w40 i believe i know for sure that its 5w and 15w thats why i was asking is it alright to run 10w in mine

· Registered
40 Posts
The first number tells you what the weight of the oil is cold. Since diesels are so cold starting up, the cold number is very important. Of Course my Camry and the wifes Scion Tc both call for 0w-15. BS, they are doing that for the EPA. I use 10w-30 starts up better and is quieter.

· Registered
1,935 Posts
i would go for the 5w-40 rotella, because it is available nation wide at wall mart

· Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so should i not use 10w-40 there is a sale right now on royal purple and they have that oil and its like 4 dollars a quart

· Registered
381 Posts
I like the Chevron Delo 15W40. It is cheap at Costco and it seems to be a very good oil.

· Registered
998 Posts
Ive allways used Shell Rotella 15w 40 in my Diesels... even in the winter until i went to school in the U.P. of Michigan, then i put 5w 30 in for the winter and it was fine, but then i drove to texas over spring break on the thinner oil and it did fine... oil never got too warm, stayed around 190 degrees, ran fine.... but ive gone back to 15w 40 for the summer.... but i would think you would be fine with 10w 40

· Registered
1,639 Posts
Ive always ran Shell Rotella T 15w 40 in all my diesels, never had a problem, great oil and its relatively cheap too...

· Admin/Mod
10,685 Posts
On the bottle it said it was designed for diesel engines diesel oil goes from 5w40 to 15w40 i believe i know for sure that its 5w and 15w thats why i was asking is it alright to run 10w in mine
if the oil is approved for diesel engines 10w40 is fine to use...

· Registered
1,704 Posts
If it has API class CI-4 or newer then you are good to go. If it is an older class or not "C" rated don't use it.

· Registered
31 Posts
15W-40 is way too thick for Alberta winter( -30~-40 w/ wind chill). I only use Rotalla T 15W-40 in summer & Rotalla T Synth 5W-40 in winter. the only downside is that 5W-40 lacks of towing power ( tow anything more than 5000lbs, I can feel it!!!). don't know why.

· Registered
156 Posts
I also live in norhtern Alberta- although its not -40 year round- I use 0w-40 made by Shell year round. Have used this in all my CTD's for a few years now. No issues at all pulling loaded sled trailers in the winter or a 8000# fifth wheel up a 15 mile 7% grade in 30 degree C weather.

· Registered
2,363 Posts
So long as the oil is rated CI-4 or CJ-4 you can use 10w40 oil in your engine. BTW, I use 5w30 HDD oil year round with out any problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.