Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what should my o5 run at on the gauge at idle it runs just above 275 kpa at 2000 rpm but drops down to just above the red at idle also when i touch the number one injector line it pulses the rest dont. thanks for any help guys.

·
Fill Diesel Only
1,033 Posts
Once warm the oil pressure guage does drop right down. As long as it pops up when you throttle up all is well. Mine does the same thing, and so does my brothers 07. Not sure about the other question.

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
The OEM oil psi gauge is fake... The only oil psi sensor on the block is a psi switch, not transducer, so the ECM makes the gauge read what it "should"..

Your sig doesn't say what year your truck is, but the newer ones, and those that have been flashed, don't move hardly at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The OEM oil psi gauge is fake... The only oil psi sensor on the block is a psi switch, not transducer, so the ECM makes the gauge read what it "should"..

:agree2:

I "gained" oil pressure by adding my Smarty Jr! lol!! That just goes to show you it's all in the computer.

·
Registered
841 Posts
:agree2:

I "gained" oil pressure by adding my Smarty Jr! lol!! That just goes to show you it's all in the computer.
Same thing for me ... I wondered what that was about. I asked about the increased oil pressure after installing Smarty Jr but no answer ... this is why? So what's up with a fake guage ... what's the point then? man :thud:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i think a real gauge will be goin in then hate lookin at oil pressure almost in the red at idle gives me the willys :lol3:

·
Registered
493 Posts
At warm idle my gauge sits just under the 40psi mark.. While driving just over the mark.. Never near the red for me..

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
well i think a real gauge will be goin in then hate lookin at oil pressure almost in the red at idle gives me the willys :lol3:
Have your truck flashed it should correct that.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have the same issue with my 05. Since it only has 30k miles on it I'm gonna bring it in and let Dodge look at it and at least get my concern logged with the dealer in case of future problems. I bought mine used so it didn't have a users manual but I viewed one on line here somewhere and read a statement about the instrument cluster (oil pressure Gage) and it states "The pointer should always indicate some oil pressure
when the engine is running. A continuous
high or low reading, under normal driving conditions,
may indicate a lubrication system malfunction. Immediate
service should be obtained). So, as long as it's covered under warranty I'll get it checked out. I'll post their response later today.

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
$10 they reflash the computer and tell you the gauge is fake.

·
Registered
905 Posts
They just called a minute ago and said that the sending unit is bad. They don't have one in town so it's coming from L.A. and will be to them by 11 am Phoenix time tomorrow?

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
Very interesting as there in no pressure transducer just a 6psi switch, so if the switch was bad it would read 0psi all the time...

Very curious what else they do.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
all i got was the serv tech sayin is it in the green. i said yep then drive it or we charge 120 for the reflash and this truck is under warranty i hate chrysler service

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm gonna grab a tech. and ask him where the sender is located and look (if I can see it) to see if it looks new. I also always ask for the old part when I pick up the repaired truck.

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
all i got was the serv tech sayin is it in the green. i said yep then drive it or we charge 120 for the reflash and this truck is under warranty i hate chrysler service
You need a new dealer if they will charge for a reflash... Call the regional rep and tell them. If you have a software issue they need to fix it under warranty... You could also tell him you get occasional long starts.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im goin to have to try that but it seems up here in canada they can do what they want i was at a dealer for one injector and it was in another province after waiting all 10 hrs they came to me and said well it will be done tommorrow so no shuttle ride or anything cause there driver left so i walked 40 min to a hotel this is chrysler 5 star service in canada. but the long start thing may work ill try

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm gonna grab a tech. and ask him where the sender is located and look (if I can see it) to see if it looks new. I also always ask for the old part when I pick up the repaired truck.
So, I picked the truck up and talked to my service adv. and was told that "my engine oil pressure was at 10psi before the sending unit replacement and after it is 11psi which is normal". They ended up replacing the sending unit anyway? End result: at idle my gage is still where it was before the new sending unit...I also looked at the old sending unit to make sure I wasn't being fooled about a new one. Maybe I'll get an oil pressure Gage along with a fuel pressure one in the future....

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
Thats still not correct... there is not a pressure sender anywhere on the block, its a switch not a sender, makes me wonder about your dealer... You should have them reflash the ECU, I bet your oil psi changes... The gauge on the dash is fake, the truck has no clue what the oil psi is. Its a computer algorithms... The current 05 flash will make it operate ~45psi most of the time, idle or not.

·
Registered
841 Posts
im goin to have to try that but it seems up here in canada they can do what they want i was at a dealer for one injector and it was in another province after waiting all 10 hrs they came to me and said well it will be done tommorrow so no shuttle ride or anything cause there driver left so i walked 40 min to a hotel this is chrysler 5 star service in canada. but the long start thing may work ill try
It's got nothing to do with Canada ... I agree, you may need a new dealer but sometimes you need to help them help you. You should fill in your sig with year and configuration ... makes it easier to help you with specific symptoms, TSbs, etc to take with you to the dealer. good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts