Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was the coldest day I have started my truck. Plugged it in all night started fine and oil pressure went to normal and then check gauges light came on and pressure dropped to 0. Shut off the truck checked oil and it was fine, restarted and oil pressure went to normal and stayed there the temp was -12F and with the wind chill it was near -25F. I am thinking maybe the oil was thick and it was taking too long to build pressure. I do not have a manual gauge on it right now. Do you guys think that this is something that I should be worried about going forward? Any replies are appreciated and thanks in advance.

:doh:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do you have synthetic oil in the engine? If so -12 is no problem. Wind chill only affects living tissue.
What did all of the other gauges do?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
It takes about 3 seconds for oil presssure to start to rise. The computer allows for this. Because of the cold it may have taken longer to get real pressure and the computer then registerd no pressure. The oil pressure guage is not a true guage, it is a computer driven indicator only.

One of our older Cummins powered vehicles requires we hold a over ride button for about 5 seconds until the pressure is up. The engine will die if no pressure is detected, thus the over ride.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have synthetic in it now it normally doesn't get that cold in Colorado. All the other gauges worked fine. It seems to be OK now talked to a mechanic who said the sending unit could have been slow since it was so cold out. I am going to watch it and try to add a manual gauge soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts