Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had oil leaking from somewhere on the side of my engine for quite some time. My truck has never been low on oil so it's apparently not leaking enough to be detrimental but I would still like to stop this leak. Given these pictures where should I start looking? I used engine degreaser today and I'll come back later to look at it.

imgur: the simple image sharer

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Looks like the tappet cover gasket is shot. Pull the ecm off of the motor to make sure.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The gasket is under the ecm?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Yea... Tappet cover. With a good set of air tools and some beer it no problem at all. I've done two tappet covers now. Pretty easy. Just a lot of stuff to get out of the way and the clean up.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to need to look up how to replace that. What you see in the picture is what I have. My fuel system and all the extra metal there is gone as I replaced it with aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After doing some research people have talked about a bracket that holds the factory fuel pump to the side of the engine? I do not have that bracket there. What kind of seal should be there?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Huh. I'll need to do some more research into that as I'm kind of confused.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From what I've been reading there is some kind of seal or bracket behind that big plate that holds the factory fuel canister on. My trucks been running for I would say a good 20,000 miles or more without that plate or chevy big block whatever. 10 1from what I've been reading there is some kind of see your bracket behind that big plate that holds the factory fuel canister on. My trucks been running 4 I would say a good 20,000 miles or more without that plate or dad chevy big block whatever. 10 1

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
That would be just a big open hole into the crankcase. :shock:

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is no hole there right now. It seems to be covered by a paper gasket that is held on by sheer willpower. I'll look into it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
No doubt when I first looked at the photo my jaw dropped....cover that thing up boy!...I'd go ahead and knock out the tappet gasket then get the big block Chevy fuel pump block off plate and gasket..or you can cut your own gasket. It's a wonder it wasn't puking out the side...surely didn't help the leak.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have been chasing a leak(s) for awhile now. Just went out to look at mine for the fact, I too have a fass 150 and oem FF delete. Mine though is hanging on by a bolt! But I can see where all the oil I have been loosing spewing out of and is a fresh area.

By chance does anyone know what size bolts go there? I don't know if I have a block off plate, but looks like pressure from the bolt would stop a quart or more a day leaking. The PO let it go that it has covered the whole side and front drive shaft.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Like everyone, Get a big block Chevy fuel pump block off plate. And scrape that gasket off the block, clean it up, install new gasket and new plate. Then go wash the block and verify all is good. I recommend some gasket maker or permatex the right stuff on that gasket before install. As the felpro gasket that comes with it is crap at best.
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/bsp-41825?seid=srese1&gclid=CK-QhIm2rsMCFVJcfgodQ2cAcQ

·
Registered
477 Posts
Personally I would send it for a bath first then knock out the reseal..... That thing is nasty looking..... Sorry bud, I don't mean to rip on yer truck, but dang bro...... If it weren't for bad luck you would have no luck.....

You think that's bad, give me a few and I'll snap a pic, his is mild compared to the putty knife and power washing ahead of me lol.

Like everyone, Get a big block Chevy fuel pump block off plate. And scrape that gasket off the block, clean it up, install new gasket and new plate. Then go was the block and verify all is good. I recommend some gasket maker or permatex the right stuff on that gasket before install. As the felpro gasket that comes with it is crap at best.
Billet Specialties 41825 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Mine might already have it on, just the bolt closest to the harnesses gone and I have tons of gasket material. But I guess if cheap enough and new cut gasket, so be it! Thank you

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.