Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to trucks, new to the forum. Thanks for everything I've learned so far, and thanks in advance for any advice on this issue

I did my first oil and filter change on my new (to me) '98 12V yesterday, and I think I may have unscrewed a bolt I didn't need to, that is now slowly but surely leaking oil. I just saw that thing and assumed it should be taken out before unscrewing the filter, but the peanut gallery said otherwise! Is that bolt and hole designed to give you a place to fill the filter once its on, rather than filling it and screwing on a full filter?

I've wrenched on er pretty good and am a bit hesitant to tighten any further - perhaps a new bolt or some lock tight is in order?

The paint is a bit cracked and chipped around where the bolt sits, it could be uneven and finding a way through... I'm hesitant to start messing with it because I imagine that hole goes into the filter and probably shouldn't have little bits of paint and metal scraped into it. Is this a normal bolt to replace and should I look for it by name?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well...

Turns out the oil is leaking through a little crack in the housing! I put some Permatex on the bolt and it stopped leaking from the lip but I can see it coming through the crack at about 12:30 position in that photo...

Went to the local diesel shop and they are going to get back to me with whatever parts they can come up with

Anybody got a parts number or some information about replacing the housing?

·
Premium Member
16,203 Posts
If the part is available new I'm sure it would be crazy expensive.
I would get it extremely clean with no paint and try some JB Weld.
If that doesn't do it braze or try to find one at the junkyard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts