Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have had a motor oil leak for a while now and it has gotten worse. I had somebody look at it and they said they think it is coming from the power steering pump! I dont really know much about mechanics but is it possible for motor oil to be leaking from the power steering pump? If not where do you think it is coming from? Also i had some greenish sluge come out of my blow-by tube (i guess, it's the tube that is on the front drivers side??) my oil looks fine not milky or anything. what would cause green sludge to come out of the blow by tube of a cummins with 123,000 miles? any help would be great and thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
832 Posts
motor oil cant come from the powersteering box...its powersteering fluid...which looks similar to motor oil, but hopefully isnt as black as your motor oil...i know these go bad cuz mine was replaced just before i bought my truck...as for the green sluge, is it your coolant overflow tank overflow?:confused013:

·
Got P7100?
6,714 Posts
There is a seal between the vaccume pump and power steering pump that tends to leak, look here for the seal kit to fix it 21

·
Registered
623 Posts
yes it is the seal in the vacuum pump, the fixnrams kit can be found on his site or on ebay:thumbsup: I just did mine and it wasnt that bad if you have some wrenching knowledge. PM me if you have any questions or need some help:thumbsup:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys!! i dont have any wrenching skills but i got a guy that is very reasonable, so i might buy that kit and have him put it on for me. trucker i'm pretty sure its coming from the blow by tube i just dont know why!

·
Registered
623 Posts
thanks guys!! i dont have any wrenching skills but i got a guy that is very reasonable, so i might buy that kit and have him put it on for me. trucker i'm pretty sure its coming from the blow by tube i just dont know why!
the seal we're referring to on the vacuum pump holds back engine oil:thumbsup:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha man it's all good, no reason to be sorry two heads are better than one:headbang:

·
Got P7100?
6,714 Posts
I dont know why you would have a green colored sludge coming out of the breather, but a little oil is normal. Is it possible the truck had a bad headgasket at one time and got coolant in the oil, it may have built up in the breather cup and is just coming out a little now:confused013:

·
New Mexico Chapter Vice President
1,532 Posts
Man ive had the same problem for about 2 months now..but for some reason it only leaks when the engine is idleing..

·
Registered
623 Posts
mike, with your engine running, in park, brake set, wheels chocked (safety first:lol4:) crawl under the nose of your truck and watch between the vacuum pump and power steering pump (flashlight helps) you should be able to see the leak:thumbsup: its not bad to fix, took me about 2 1/2 hours taking my time, I dont doubt I could do it in half that now:thumbsup:

·
1,532 Posts
yeah ill do that later..thanks bud..hopefully thats where its coming from..

·
Registered
623 Posts
let me know if thats the case, I can help walk you threw the R&R :thumbsup:

·
1,532 Posts
alright ill let u know..i didnt have time today but ill check it out 2mrow and let u know

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i'm glad i posted this cause my cousin told me what he thought it was but i just wanted to be sure! It seems like a pretty common leak

1 - 16 of 16 Posts