Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how many have had an oil leak at the front crankshaft seal. Rolled under my 2013 and noticed a drip behind the balancer. Really not looking forward to having this fixed. Forgot to mention 5000 miles on truck. Anybody had this done yet? Did this fix the leak or did it come back. Love my truck so far hoping it gets fixed right the first time

·
Premium Member
2,550 Posts
Are you sure it's not the sealant material they use at assembly? Sure it's oil? The sealant material will be sticky or tacky to the touch.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
^ what that fella said. I thought I had a leak too in that same place and also at the rear main. Turned out to be a coating that was applied to the motor at the plant for rust.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is oil. Wiped it of once and it is back. I will wipe off again and be sure before I take it in because I Cannot stand the thought of the dealer molesting it.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I have the same issue. Small leak since new , but over time it makes a mess. They replaced my crankshaft seal once at 4,550 miles but that isn't where the oil is coming from. I'm convinced that it is leaking from the gear case/oil pan/block RTVed joint on the passengers side of the engine. I now have 5,200 miles on it and the leak is back, coming from the same place. There is no oil above the pan flange on the block or anything like that. That's why I'm convinced that it is coming out of the pan seal. Here's a picture of mine with a drop of oil on the pan bolt. I can only pray that it is not the gear case to block joint. Do you know how much of the front of the truck must be disassembled to remove the gear case? Has anyone seen the pictures of Gregbrockams blue truck:shock: and the cam has to be removed and reinstalled to get the gear case off the block!!! Oh no your not Mr. dealer service tech. I'll live with wiping off the leak every oil change. :doh:

Attachments

Reactions: HorseMan-AR

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
I have the same issue. Small leak since new , but over time it makes a mess. They replaced my crankshaft seal once at 4,550 miles but that isn't where the oil is coming from. I'm convinced that it is leaking from the gear case/oil pan/block RTVed joint on the passengers side of the engine. I now have 5,200 miles on it and the leak is back, coming from the same place. There is no oil above the pan flange on the block or anything like that. That's why I'm convinced that it is coming out of the pan seal. Here's a picture of mine with a drop of oil on the pan bolt. I can only pray that it is not the gear case to block joint. Do you know how much of the front of the truck must be disassembled to remove the gear case? Has anyone seen the pictures of Gregbrockams blue truck:shock: and the cam has to be removed and reinstalled to get the gear case off the block!!! Oh no your not Mr. dealer service tech. I'll live with wiping off the leak every oil change. :doh:
Can't say as I blame ya, Ken......a Cummins isn't a Cummins if it's not marking it's territory a little.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Can't say as I blame ya, Ken......a Cummins isn't a Cummins if it's not marking it's territory a little.

Rodger that Greg, but I was really hoping that it wouldn't have to be my truck that did it! I'm still inclined to let them have one more try at fixing it. If they say gear case, I'm gonna decline. I will give them a chance to drop the oil pan and reseal it to the underside of the block though if they want to go that route. Ken Irwin

·
Premium Member
2,550 Posts
Hang in there Ken! Let em have a go at oil pan and see if that fixes leak.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ken, I hate to break the news but you've been washed and hung to dry.

That little BS RTV joint should not be like that. Some water head tech decided he didn't want to rip the cover off the front of your truck so he decided to smear some RTV and call it a day. I've got a damn good feeling not much work was done on your truck when they "replaced the crank seal". The crank seal is behind your harmonic balancer and has jack tit to do with the timing cover in the picture.

Oh I'm so mad my blood is boiling. If guys don't wanna fix cars properly they should get the hell out of the trade.

Brandon
Level 4 Chrysler Tech

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brandon is the front seal a common problem on these trucks? How hard is it to replace the seal? Another words should I put up with it because more harm than good will come from trying to repair it.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts

That little BS RTV joint should not be like that. Some water head tech decided he didn't want to rip the cover off the front of your truck so he decided to smear some RTV and call it a day. I've got a damn good feeling not much work was done on your truck when they "replaced the crank seal". The crank seal is behind your harmonic balancer and has jack tit to do with the timing cover in the picture.

Oh I'm so mad my blood is boiling. If guys don't wanna fix cars properly they should get the hell out of the trade.

Brandon
Level 4 Chrysler Tech

Brandon, They didn't drop the pan the first time. According to my repair order, they only pulled the balancer and front gear case cover and replaced the crankshaft seal. The RTV I'm worried about wasn't disturbed to do that work. My hard spot with that repair is that they added dye to the crankcase to find the leak but only put 7 miles on the truck while they had it including the post repair test drive. It took me nearly 2 K miles before I decided it actually had a leak. You know, cleaned off the leaking area, drove the truck 200 miles checked for leakage. In my case the leak is very small and takes about 500 miles to form the drip on the pictured pan bolt. I researched which Ram mechanic, at which Ram dealership, I wanted to do the work in my area and had a heart to heart, frank discussion with this mechanic on my expectations. He may or may not have been the one that did the work as I haven't talked to him since the seal was replaced. The leak is so small that if you don't clean it off, it slowly spreads to the other pan bolts and then drips off onto the stabilizer bar and subsequently sprays onto the front differential. You know, slowly makes mess that I don't want to put up with.
As a mechanic myself, I am upset that they didn't take my discussion with them to heart. I was trying to get my truck fixed, and I had done my due diligence to assist them with the leak isolation. After that, I thought they would repair it correctly. I know, you service technicians get all kinds of people that try to tell us mechanics what's wrong with their vehicle. Just once in a while the customer may have an idea what he's talking about. I just wish mechanics would remember that it is still my vehicle, not Ram's, or Chrysler's vehicle. Ram may only authorize a certain amount of time for a repair, but I will pay what it costs to get my truck fixed right, every time, over and beyond what Ram will pay; IF you do neat work and make sure that you treat my repair like you were working on your own vehicle. If I feel that you just blew me off and fixed what you thought is wrong and it wasn't what the problem was... well you know how I feel about bringing in my truck for any other maintenance it may ned. I'll just fix it my self. I know who to hold accountable then the repair goes south. :banghead: Ken Irwin

·
Registered
284 Posts
Brandon is the front seal a common problem on these trucks? How hard is it to replace the seal? Another words should I put up with it because more harm than good will come from trying to repair it.
If your referring to the timing cover seal then, for the average guy it will be tough. However I would hope you can find a competent tech that could do the job properly.

I wouldn't say they are a common issue on new trucks but on higher mileage trucks they are extremely common.

Brandon
Level 4 Chrysler tech

·
Registered
163 Posts
That little BS RTV joint should not be like that. Some water head tech decided he didn't want to rip the cover off the front of your truck so he decided to smear some RTV and call it a day.
Just for the sake of comparison, here's a picture of the same area on mine. The light gray RTV is applied during assembly. I see it on each front corner of my oil pan. Mine has never been back for any oil leak repairs so that is original stuff.

No leaks anywhere on mine, by the way. 5,000 miles so far, so good.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

Brandon
Level 4 Chrysler Tech

Umm every Cummins is like that...Remind me never to let you work on my truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Thanks guys for the support. I'm sure Brandon meant that they didn't properly diagnose the leak as I sated in my response. It that vein I'm with him. I know that all Cummins engines in Rams have that spot of RTV in that location to seal the unusual geometry that those multiple pieces present for sealing at that specific joint. To me, it looks like that the RTV may have been placed a little too far forward or displaced during oil pan installation such that the edge of the gear case was not captured by the RTV and thus not sealed. It's also possible that there is some type of imperfection in the casting there that makes it seep, I don't know. I do know that the leakage is minor, really more of an annoyance than anything, but for $65K of my money I expect it not to leak. Now the real issue is, am I willing to allow Ram's service technicians another chance to repair it, or am I going to live with it leaking?

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Just for the sake of comparison, here's a picture of the same area on mine. The light gray RTV is applied during assembly. I see it on each front corner of my oil pan. Mine has never been back for any oil leak repairs so that is original stuff.

No leaks anywhere on mine, by the way. 5,000 miles so far, so good.
Hey Chris, your close enough, want to help me fix it on your day off? :thumbsup: Ken Irwin

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks guys for the support. I'm sure Brandon meant that they didn't properly diagnose the leak as I sated in my response. It that vein I'm with him. I know that all Cummins engines in Rams have that spot of RTV in that location to seal the unusual geometry that those multiple pieces present for sealing at that specific joint. To me, it looks like that the RTV may have been placed a little too far forward or displaced during oil pan installation such that the edge of the gear case was not captured by the RTV and thus not sealed. It's also possible that there is some type of imperfection in the casting there that makes it seep, I don't know. I do know that the leakage is minor, really more of an annoyance than anything, but for $65K of my money I expect it not to leak. Now the real issue is, am I willing to allow Ram's service technicians another chance to repair it, or am I going to live with it leaking?
Ken, that is my point exactly. If you look at the RTV joint you'll see that oil is pooled on it and above it is wet. Common sense should show the tech that the problem is with the RTV joint.

If it were a truck in my bay I'd remove the timing cover and oil pan as it looks to me like the gasket on the oil pan pinched the silicone.

Also for all you that would like to point out all trucks with the cummins have the RTV blob, trust me I know I do work on them everyday. However let me point out that not all cummins have oil on the blob of silicone which is the issue the op stated.

Those who have had me work on their trucks will speak on my behalf that I am knowledgeable about the HD trucks, and those who would like to bash me can go right on ahead

Brandon
LEVEL 4 CHRYSLER TECH

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey Chris, your close enough, want to help me fix it on your day off? :thumbsup: Ken Irwin
I don't have a 'killer set of tools' or a nice shop, but it would be neat to see the inside of a 6.7 so long as it's one of the 'cut-away' special engines that they display at big shows. Hopefully mine stays sealed up for the duration I own it.

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I don't have a 'killer set of tools' or a nice shop, but it would be neat to see the inside of a 6.7 so long as it's one of the 'cut-away' special engines that they display at big shows. Hopefully mine stays sealed up for the duration I own it.

:thumbsup:
Whoa there Chris:shock: I asked for some help and you want to cut up my engine so you can see inside????:confused013::confused013::S:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts