Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know what can possibly be causing an oil leak on the left side of the engine specifically the oil pan.. i think it could be the front cover but im just not sure and its starting to make me mad! lol

anyone had this problem?

thanks
erik

·
Registered
299 Posts
Can you see where the oil starts out at? Maybe a closeup picture will help.

Tim

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope... thats whats leading me to believe its the front cover....

i was also thinking that since i cannot see a source, it could possibly be the little smudge of rtv sealer on the block (if you know what im talking about). on the front corner.

i was in a minor accident a year ago with the left front of the truck and i think that may have shifted or tore that sealer, causing it to leak... going to investigate tomorrow and see.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ok this is a long shot but worth taking a look at. This summer I noticed that I had an oil leak. I looked and looked and couldn't find the source of it but it was puddling and dripping off the pan. Not to long after the leak started I decided to do some more mods to the truck and while it was down and I was waiting for parts I decided to change the oil. This is how I discovered the leak, when I went to break the drain plug loose oil started to gush from where the pan recesses for the drain plug. There was a hairline crack half way around the recess. Couldn't tell there was a crack without running ur finger over. Dropped the pan,cleaned it up, and welded the crack. Good as new!
Long shot but worth takin a look at.
Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not by the plug. Its definitly coming from the front of the pan. Cleaned the area very well and added some extra rtv sealer to maybe stop it from leaking....

Didnt stop it but i have now found out that it is coming from the front cover area. Any clues as to what could be leaking from on the front of the engine?

Thanks
Erik

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
If it is the back of the rear cover enjoy that fix. You have to pull the cam in order to replace the gasket. But you can try to pull the cp3 and clean the area between the block and the rear cover and lay a bead of gasket maker to try to stop the leak .

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats probably what im going to have to end up doing... but its gona have to be a spring time project...think i'll take the whole front end off, take the cover off, and do it that way, and while i have everything apart i think im gonna go ahead and tackle my 2nd gen manifold swap as well. i dont know.. maybe...

its not gushing oil, just a slow leak that after a few thousand miles slobbers all over the front diff and oil pan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts