Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did alot of searching before i posted nad didnt find anything on this. the leak is at the front of the engine i can get a picture of it. i thought it was power steering fluid at first because that is where it was damp but upon further inspection its engine oil, the fan is blowing it on the box. its not dripping on the ground but should i be worried? the truck has only 22.5k miles on it.. thanks for any ideas or help..

·
Registered
541 Posts
Are you sure? I found oil on top of my steering box and it was coming from the steering gear itself. My buddy had the same problem. Both of our trucks are 06. Funny thing is that when I took it to the dealer they swapped in a new box right away. Same with my buddy. Got the truck back later that day. So, why did they just happen to have brand new steering boxes in stock. Common problem is what Im guessing. And by the way, the oil looked just like motor oil.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i can see where its coming from and it looks like the fan blew it there from when it drips..

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
heres some pics...
the drip.

where the drip is, is behind the belt and gear.

the fan blows it and makes the steering box wet but not dripping yet.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Looks like the front main seal. Same prob. here to.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Fella`s, I had a front seal leak on my `97. My dealer said he didn`t have the equipment to change the seal and he sent it out to Freightliner for the job. That was all well and good, but the problem came up that oil had saturated various front suspension and steering parts causing the rubber bushings to deteriorate. That`s commonly called "peripheral damage". When Freightliner did the deed, they washed the oil off everything under the truck, making it impossible to affirm any claim of peripheral damage. My recommendation to you is that you check this out thoroughly and get it on record with your service advisor before the repair is made. My area rep acted like he had never heard of such a thing and refused to consider it. Good luck.......Paul

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info, i was dreading that news but its under warranty so i guess im not to worried. how long did you go without your truck?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts