Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Oil Leak... Help

844 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Deeslfxr
I just found a Pretty good oil leak on my Drivers side, Near the top of the Steering gear box, It looks like its coming from the Gearbox but its not power steering fluid its oil.. It has coverd everything from the Front of the steering box back to the tranny.

Im going to Degrease this area and drive it alittle tomorrow but is there any Trouble spots around this area? Theres no oil above the highest point of the Powersteering box. Any ideas?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
11,940 Posts
Vacuum pump may be leaking or oil line to vac pump may be cracked. Hard to see from where I'M at.

· Registered
497 Posts
There is a crankcase vent in that area that pukes out oil. Read over this and see if it helps any.
Crancase Vent

· Registered
180 Posts
Check the underside of the vacuum pump and power steering pump. There is a seal between the two pumps, installed in the vacuum pump that is a common source. Also a pressure line from the block to the vacuum pump.

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i already bypassed the factory crankcase vent "crap collector" so its not that..

Is the seal between the Powersteering pump and vaccume pump a Pain to change? If thats common that must be it.

· Registered
180 Posts
Well i already bypassed the factory crankcase vent "crap collector" so its not that..

Is the seal between the Powersteering pump and vaccume pump a Pain to change? If thats common that must be it.
Yeah, it's a pain. You have to remove the PS pump from the vac pump, then the vac pump from the engine. Then disassemble the vac pump to replace the seal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.