Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Fill Diesel Only
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sick feeling that I may need a new tranny oil cooler. I have quite a bit of oil leaking, was a few drops overnight, but now its much more. Was hoping it may only be a connection but I see that oil comes in from the oposite side of the leak.
Am I alone in having this grief or have any of you had to fix or repair this item. It don't look cheap. I have only pulled the intercooler back far enough to peek in there. Looks like it coming from the joint where the core go into the end pipes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I gotta tell ya man it aint good but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I have found that this is a pretty common problem as I had the same. My leak was on the swedged end right below the square block containing the bypass thermostat which is the top of the driver side. Started as a small drip and quickly got worse. Talked to the local dodge dealer and these transmission coolers are on a national backorder due to being defective. I believe it was around $225 for a replacement. The parts guy could only find a few of them here in the midwest region.

So here is the bad part. I got a new cooler, install was really not all that bad. Just be careful moving around the condensor, the lines are very tight. I got it changed out in about an hour and a half, started it up and no leak. Topped off the fluid checked again for leaks and by this time there was about half a quart on the floor!!!!! So I returned my DEFECTIVE cooler and waited almost a week for another one. Installed this one and no leaks yet.

During the time I was broke down without a cooler, I had to have something to drive. So I machined a piece 3/4 brass rod to have a 3/8 hose barb on one end and a 1/2 quick connect end on the other so I could connect my cooler lines in a loop and leave the cooler out completely.

1st picture - fitting next to the end of the cooler fitting.
2nd picture - Showing where my cooler was leaking from. This was the exact same spot the first cooler was leaking from as well as the new one.
3rd picture - is just one I took while machining.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
After Market Tranny Cooler

Okay its my turn to change the leaky trans cooler, seems like a good Sunday to work on it with Martinsville looking like a rain out. I guess this is as good of time as any to slip in one of our intercoolers.

Anyone found something better than rolling the dice on the OEM cooler?

·
Registered
22 Posts
my truck has this issue too. pretty well right in the same spot. ive looked everywhere for an aftermarket one but no luck. the only place that seems to even know what the cooler is, is the dealership. not impressed lol they want like $350 for it up here in alberta!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts