Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Info: 89k miles, usually park facing down hill. Last night I parked mostly level but with a slight up hill. I use Valvoline Blue. Last change was 87,500.

Took the kids to school this morning and coming back home noticed that my oil pressure was at the low end of the safe zone. I know the gauge isn't linear real time and is computed, however it made me do some checking.

My oil amount is not low. However I do have a leak as there was oil above the drainpan on the flywheel cover thing, near the rear seal I beleive. HOWEVER, I do not think it is coming from there as if you look up on both sides of the housing, you can see some oil. I think it is leaking up top somewhere and found its way down due to how I parked last night with my front end facing up instead of down as usual.

Here are a few pics, the first of the bottom housing which I just wiped off, the next two of each side.

I've researched on here that the leak could be somewhere up top which it appears to be, but honestly I do not know enough about it to figure it out myself. I is under warranty until July (although I'll hit 100k before then).

The leak doesn't bother me as I'm not losing hardly any but the pressure being low that made me notice the leak is bothersome.

Can it wait or should I get it in asap?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
You can ignore your oil pressure gauge, it has no relation to the actual oil pressure. All that's on the engine is a simple pressure switch, either on or off. There's no way you'll be able to tell from your gauge if the oil pressure is low until it's too late, at that point the gauge would simply drop to 0.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Mine did the same thing the back of the VAlve cover was leaking, dealer had to change the gasket took them 4 times to get it right.

Then the rocker housing cover started leaking and they changed that gasket also. That is the two inch plate which sits on top of the head that the valve cover sits on.

Try and reach your hand around to the back of the valve cover and feel for oil..

·
Registered
602 Posts
Subscribed... mine is leaking from up there somewhere as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mine was leaking there also. While doing the delete's and turbo back had the mechanic look at it. He pulled the dust cover off the tranny and lot's of oil came out so he replaced the rear main and hadn't had a leak yet and this was with 90k on the clock

·
Registered
260 Posts
I thought rear main as well. Will look closer tomorrow.

·
Registered
807 Posts
For what's it worth, just had my rear main replaced last week at dealer. Wet spot looked the same. Only 30k miles, but sat for most of last year while i was deployed. I figured that's what did it. Wife should have drove it more :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts