Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Oil in my water.......

1648 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  MattEngels
I think i have oil in my water. im about 1600 miles away from my truck but my woman drives it while im gone. she was checking the oil becase it started to leak pretty good. she noticed the over flow talk was realy dark and there was a very dark oil like substance at the bottom of the over flow..... the oil was about a quart low and black not milky what so ever. two things are strange to me first the suposed oil is in the "bottom" of the resivoir..... oil floats on water..... and the engine oil is just fine..... im gunna have her take it to my dad to get a better look im just freakin out i realy dont want to have to do a head gasket. so if anyone has heard of a similar issue let me know.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
its just grimm in your cooling system from seal wear and etc. i wouldn't worry about it too much. diesels natually loses some oil via blow-by and turbo of course within reason like 1 quart between oil changes with out any external oil leaks. imo.

· Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it were oil it would be floating in the tank right.... im only running about 35lbs of boost..... ill get my dad to check it out but im just stressin cuz im so far away.... oh well.

· Registered
79 Posts
why do mods on a truck then worry about break down and repairs? they go hand in hand. looking for a worry free longevity? leave it stock and only do upgrades to problematic components. just my thought. anyway to answer your question oil does not sink.

· Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
my perfomance upgrades are minor its not like im rockin twins, a p pump conversion, and laughing gas (although it would be fun). besides how fun is life if your conservative......

· Registered
4,642 Posts
if it were a head gasket wouldnt be the other way around........water in the oil

· Registered
48 Posts
when oil is in your coolant the oil cooler could be bad....if it were oil it usually would be floating on the top of the coolant in the over flow or in your radiator, maybe there is no coolant in your overflow just oil thats why its at the bottom ....

· Registered
9,910 Posts
if it were a head gasket wouldnt be the other way around........water in the oil
Not all the time and not always in large amounts (either way)

Pull the valvecover off and see if their is any white scum stuck to it. chances are their will be, and that means headgasket. You dont always get enough water in the oil to make it noticable on the dipstick, but the chit usually sticks to the highest point!

Reactions: TEX

· Registered
1,105 Posts
Here is a logical fix..... Don't let your woman drive it! women have a natural tendancy of F!*king up our vehicles. I let NO ONE drive my chit and I have ZERO problems other than your normal wear and tear stuff. I'll bet money your issue is nothing other than crap build up in the bottom of your resivor. No need to worry until you get home to your baby and see for your self.

· Registered
125 Posts
if you had oil in the cooling system or water in the oil both would result in a milky white substance that would have you cleaning parts for a week.

· Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I trust her driving it besides she changes oil at les schwab infact she does the oil changes on my truck she is the best chick ever! bought me new wheels, might get me new tires, and besides its funny when im following her in my car to see guys breakin there neck to check her out haha. shes prego also and i feel safer with her in it than her old clunker.

· Registered
5,842 Posts
Oil floats in coolant, so if the stuff is at the bottom of the coolant tank, sounds like you're waaaay overdue for a coolant flush.

IF.... IF it was oil it can be a couple things. Head gasket can cause oil in coolant and coolant in oil. It goes both ways depending on how you blow the gasket.

Also, Cummins engines have a water-to-oil oil cooler. People often forget about this. If that cooler goes bad, you'll have oil in your coolant, coolant in your oil and you head gasket might be perfectly fine.

But sounds like crud if it is sinking in the coolant tank. Get a flush done.

-Chuck

· Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
when i get a chance ill do that and at the same time prolly do a few other upgades/fixes while im at it like ditchin that breather tank, upgrading the fuel system, diff covers, change diff fluids, fixing all the engine leaks, ect ect.... ive owned the truck just over 2 years its kinda lost its NEW luster to me maybe a lil pick me up will make me fall in love with it again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.