Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i just bought another cummins and the seal on the turbo blew, and it has oil in the intercooler. so can i just clean it out with hot water and dawn diswashing soap? take it out of the truck hook it up to a water pump and run soapy water through it until its all gone, or take it to a radiator shop and see what they say? or is it ruined and just buy another one? let me know thanks.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
If it were me, I'd pour some kerosene in there and slosh it around washing all the oil out. Perhaps strike it twice.

But that's just me. :D

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if that will work then i am game. it looks like if i want a new stock cooler its gonna be like $150.00, but if i can just clean it then no big deal, i would rather just clean it. there is a place in town that sells kerosene at a pump so big deal there.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Be sure to give it a day or so in the Sun so as to evaporate any left over kero (it is a fuel).

. . . . Um, . . . and don't dump the oily kero in the creek. ;)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lucky for me we have no creeks in the desert, haha. ok thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Calgon dish soap and HOT water. Run it till its clear. We use this at Cat on the cooling system also. Turn it on its side to drain and dry overnight.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
calgon dish soap? never heard of it where can i get it? walmart, walgreens?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is it like dawn on steriods? so no on the kerosene method?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Any store. Wally world/Safeway/SamsClub. NO WAY would I dump fuel in my air to air. I do this for a living. Bout 30 years now....
Won't hurt nothing. Just let that that don't drain evaporate.

It's all metal. Nothing to be hurt. (Necessity is the Mother of invention -> Get outside the box. ;) ). :confused013:

The Calgon will work just fine though.

. . . Umm, . . . . Don't dump the oily Calgon water in the creek. ;)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I can see if your pressed for time and need it cleaned fast then use soap and water. Or if you got a couple days then you can safely use kerosene or another petroleum type product to clean it out. I don't think it would really matter which route you take, both will get the job done.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
No way would I use it. I have doughts about the fuel/kerosene drying all the way. I know what works. If I could use anything else, it would be solvent. Dries EXTREMELY fast. Not kerosene. I wouldn't use it on my personal truck, let alone a customers rig..
So I take it you wouldn't be into adding a quart of kero to the warm crankcase and let idle for 5 minutes prior to changing the oil and filter? (NOT done on a gunked-up engine). :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Why would I want to do something that is not factory recommended. If its your own gunked up engine, shouldn't have let it gotten that way. I do whats OEM approved. Not saying that there is a better way. On the OP's question, kerosene is not the better way. Might as well tell him to use gas, at least it will dry faster..

·
Registered
762 Posts
Solvent does the best job the fastest but you can't always get it in every state. No problems finding it up here in Canada. Put some in, slosh it around, pour it out. Keep repeating it till the stuff that drains out is bright and clean. Lay it in the sun and wait a day or two, all traces will be gone.

·
Registered
74 Posts
And thats why I brought up the Solvent option up. Down here, Calgon is the the better bet. If I had a couple of gallons of solvent, I'd go that way..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well lesson learned, don't let the seals on the turbo go bad, oil in the intercooler is a pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for all the input, just to put it out there, if i used kero and then used calgon, would that take care of everything? no residual kero left after the calgon?

and does OP=original post ?

·
Registered
762 Posts
That should do it. Even hot water will displace and flush enough of it to make a runaway improbable. A bit of gasoline could substitute for the solvent but don't do it in an enclosed space as gas vapour can ignite...... I hear. The hot water thing is standard for gas tanks which need to be repaired. It eliminates the possibility of explosion.

Hot water and any dishwasher powder should help remove the gunk. If I could not get solvent or paint thinner I would use some gasoline. It can take a bit to get the oil out.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what about brake cleaner? and is calgon soap in a box and is real "feminine" .

·
Registered
40 Posts
you could get a one gallon jug of brake cleaner at you local auto parts store use a funnel pour it in slosh it around pour it out use a blow gun and blow out the vapors. let sit for a couple hours blow it out again and good to go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts