Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How and What are you guys using to change your oil filters i bought one of the strap wrenches and it broke so im curious on what you guys do....i reach through the fender and screw it out but when i do that i get oil every where.

· On call 24/7
13,772 Posts
I usually get under the truck with a ratchet, long extension and filter cap and bust it loose. Then undo the intake hose and pull it off from the top side. It gets a little oil hear and there but not much.

· Registered
1,574 Posts
I roll under the truck with a 93mm cap wrench and a long 3/8 extension. Once the filter is loose, I slide a plastic bag over it and spin it off. No mess.

· On a new learning curve!
1,047 Posts
I roll under the truck with a 93mm cap wrench and a long 3/8 extension. Once the filter is loose, I slide a plastic bag over it and spin it off. No mess.
X2 but I don't use a bag. Good Idea though. I just put an oil sop rag on the ground under it and let her dribble.

· Premium Member
1,401 Posts
If you don't have a cap wrench you can take a screwdriver and stab it in the filter. Then use the handle of the screwdriver to get some leverage on it and spin it off. Just put a bucket or a drain pan under the filter. The filters should only be a tad tighter than hand tight anyway.

· Registered
264 Posts
I like to do it from the top with a strap wrench. Take off the intake hose and inspect the turbo while at it. Put a baggy under filter and spin off. Check old filter to make sure old rubber gasket is not stuck.

Pete

· Bangin' through the gears
5,521 Posts
I reach in and break it loose from the fender well with a swivel oil filter wrench. Then I get under the truck and pull the filter out from the bottom. I've always done it that way, never spill a drop. I'm just careful not to bump or hit anything so I don't get any debris in the filter when I am installing the new one.

You know what's funny? I was Reading all the reply's that said "I use a filter cap wrench". And I was sitting here thinkin' what the 'F' is a cap wrench? I just now figured out what the damn flat spots on the filter's were for :hehe: I've never seen anybody use a filter socket! I thought those flat spots were for giant channel locks ROTFLMAO!!! I always thought "why the hell would you try to put giant channel locks or a huge crescent wrench in the engine bay to tighten a filter Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!

· Registered
85 Posts
I reach in and break it loose from the fender well with a swivel oil filter wrench. Then I get under the truck and pull the filter out from the bottom. I've always done it that way, never spill a drop. I'm just careful not to bump or hit anything so I don't get any debris in the filter when I am installing the new one.

You know what's funny? I was Reading all the reply's that said "I use a filter cap wrench". And I was sitting here thinkin' what the 'F' is a cap wrench? I just now figured out what the damn flat spots on the filter's were for :hehe: I've never seen anybody use a filter socket! I thought those flat spots were for giant channel locks ROTFLMAO!!! I always thought "why the hell would you try to put giant channel locks or a huge crescent wrench in the engine bay to tighten a filter Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!

Now that is funny.:hehe:

I do the same thin under the truck with a filter socket and pull it straight down. Have not spilled one yet (knock on wood).

· Registered
428 Posts
I have a spring loaded tool that slides over the filter and hooks to a 3/8" extention. As turn the wrench to take it off the clamp digs into the filter a little bit and it comes right off, the filter strap wrenchs in my opinion are junk. And as for a mess there really isnt one, and for the little bit of dribble i get after words i slide the waste oil pan over to collect it. Really its just finding a way that works for you. Hey at least you change your own oil.

· Registered
421 Posts
where do you buy a filter socket at? i was in a couple automotive stores the other day and did not see them. maybe i am blind, lol

· Registered
1,574 Posts

· Registered
150 Posts
Problem with the filter caps, is on the Fleetguard Stratopore filters, they do not have the indentions to latch onto. Anybody else ran into this?

· Registered
800 Posts
It's supposed to be hand tight so I take it off with my hand from underneath. I'm bigger than most so maybe I can hand tighten a bit better. Never needed a cap to get off. I did use a screwdriver to get the factory one off. Even that ripped the hell out of it. Thought I was in trouble.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.