Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently having dealer changed oil/filter every 3500mi. I do very little towing and almost all is highway mileage at 75mph. With EGR/DPF deletes and MM installed using it for mileage increase what should I look for in terms of oil/filter change intervals? Thanks.

·
Registered
553 Posts
3500 is pretty early given your usage, you can extend that out to at least 5000 probably more, I run about the same as you and change every 5000-6000 miles, I'm sure i could go more since the factory interval is 7500 with the emissions crap on there.

·
Cummins Crazy
2,310 Posts
Hounddog,

I :agree2: the extended oil change should be higher.
In fact I do it at 10,000 because of the full synthetic oil I use !:thumbsup:
They say 7500 with dino oil, so better oil longer interval. Just like I did with my 18 wheeler------

WAYNES WORLD

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
X2, Rotella Synthetic here. I do it at 10k

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
uncle goes 10k between oil on his 7.3PSD but thats with synthetic and he doesnt drive it that much.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
My oil was black as coal before I did the deletes to my 6.7. It was still black for a few oil changes but it was staying visibly cleaner. Now the oil actually stays fairly clean between changes! I am changing it now every 10,000kms or 6000 miles. After testing the used oil I found that I could go longer but I probably will stick with changing it every 10,000 kms as it is easy to know when it is due with a quick check of the odometer. I am sure the engine oil could go 20,000 kms per change...especially if I added an oil by pass system. I know of many guys who run 20,000 mile oil changes (all highway and towing) in their 5.9s and 6.7s and do not run a by pass system and their trucks do not seem to suffer for it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hounddog,

I :agree2: the extended oil change should be higher.
In fact I do it at 10,000 because of the full synthetic oil I use !:thumbsup:
They say 7500 with dino oil, so better oil longer interval. Just like I did with my 18 wheeler------

WAYNES WORLD
Wayne, what oil do you use? A buddy of mine swears by Rotella and I definitely want synthetic.
Wayne aka hounddog

·
Registered
304 Posts
does rotella make a 15w40 synthetic or just the t6 5w40 synthetic?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have seen the inside of engines and the oil pickup tube getting restricted because of extended oil change intervals. Factory says maximum change interval of 7500 miles. The engine is serious money if it blows, and if it's sludged up you pay. We suggest 5,000 mile intervals or when the oil life monitor tells you whichever comes first, regardless of conventional 15w40 or synthetic 5w40. My baby gets new Rotella 5w40 synthetic every 5,000 miles along with BG MOA.

·
Registered
138 Posts
What other routine maintenance do the 6.7's require?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Every 1500 here, and before i get burned at the cross.. Its only 35 bucks at the dealer with my perfered card for Rotella 15/40 so why not.. Id rather know that i have clean fresh oil untill i get my bypass system set up

·
Registered
399 Posts
maintenance

What other routine maintenance do the 6.7's require?
MAINTENANCE SCHEDULES - DIESEL

Oil Change Indicator System

Ram Truck Pick-Up (2500 and 3500 Models)
The vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change indicator system. This system will alert you when it is time to change the engine oil by displaying the words “Oil Change Required” on the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC). The engine oil change indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate depending on the personal driving style. Driving styles such as frequent stop and go type driving or extended idle time can increase the frequency of the engine oil change. This is the result of more frequent regeneration of the exhaust after treatment system, which can decrease the life of the engine oil. Failure to change the engine oil per the maintenance schedule can result in internal engine damage.

For information on resetting the Oil Change Indicator message, refer to “Oil Change Required – If Equipped,” under “System Status (EVIC Displays)” in the “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)” Section of this manual.

When prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System, the engine oil and filter must be changed. If not prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System within 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months since the last oil and filter change, replace the engine oil and engine oil filter. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.

Ram Truck Chassis Cab (3500, 4500, and 5500 Models)
Replace the engine oil and oil filter every 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months, or sooner if prompted by the oil change indicator system (if equipped). Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.

Perform Service Indicator
The vehicle will require emissions maintenance at a set interval. To help remind you when this maintenance is due, the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) will display “Perform Service”. When the “Perform Service” message is displayed on the EVIC it is necessary to have the emissions maintenance performed. Emissions maintenance may include replacing the Closed Crankcase Ventilation (CCV) filter element, cleaning of the EGR Cooler, cleaning of the EGR Valve, and/or cleaning of the turbocharger. The procedure for clearing and resetting the "Perform Service" indicator message is located in the appropriate Service Information.

Oil Change Indicator - Reset
The vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change indicator system. The “Oil Change Required” message flashes in the EVIC display for approximately ten seconds after a single chime has sounded, to indicate the next scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil change indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate depending upon personal driving style.

Unless reset, this message continues to display each time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position. To turn off the message temporarily, press and release the Menu button. To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance) perform the following procedure:

Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position. Do not start the engine.
Fully press the accelerator pedal slowly three times within ten seconds.
Turn the ignition switch to the “LOCK” position.

NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure.

At Each Stop for Fuel
Check the engine oil level about 30 minutes after a fully warmed engine is shut off. Checking the oil level while the vehicle is on level ground will improve the accuracy of the oil level reading. Add oil only when the level is at or below the ADD or MIN mark.
Once a Month
Inspect the batteries, and clean and tighten the terminals as required.
Check the fluid levels of the coolant reservoir, brake master cylinder, and transmission and transfer case (if equipped), add as needed.
At Each Oil Change
Change the engine oil filter.
Inspect the exhaust system.
Check the automatic transmission fluid level.
Check the manual transmission fluid level.
Check the coolant level, hoses, and clamps.
Lubricate outer tie rod ends.
CAUTION: Failure to perform the required maintenance items may result in damage to the vehicle.
Proper operation of four-wheel drive vehicles depends on tires of equal size, type and circumference on each wheel. Any difference in tire size can cause damage to the transfer case. Tire rotation schedule should be followed to balance tire wear.

Required Maintenance Intervals
Refer to the Maintenance Schedules on the following pages for the required maintenance intervals.

Perform Maintenance Every Maintenance Items
(Where time and mileage are listed, follow the interval that occurs first.)
Miles Kilometers Months
7500 12000 6 When prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System, the engine oil and filter must be changed. If not prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System within 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months since the last oil and filter change, change the engine oil and engine oil filter. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
Rotate tires.
Lubricate front drive shaft fitting (4x4).

15000 24000 12 When prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System, the engine oil and filter must be changed. If not prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System within 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months since the last oil and filter change, change the engine oil and engine oil filter. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
Rotate tires.
Replace fuel filter element.
Inspect the front suspension, tie rod ends and boot seals for cracks or leaks and all parts for damage, wear, improper looseness or end play; replace if necessary.
Inspect the front (4x4) and rear axle fluid, change if using your vehicle for police, taxi, fleet, off-road or frequent trailer towing.

22500 36000 18 When prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System, the engine oil and filter must be changed. If not prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System within 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months since the last oil and filter change, change the engine oil and engine oil filter. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
Rotate tires.
Inspect drive belt, replace if necessary.
Inspect brake linings.
Inspect and adjust parking brake if necessary.

30000 48000 24 When prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System, the engine oil and filter must be changed. If not prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System within 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months since the last oil and filter change, change the engine oil and engine oil filter. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
Rotate tires.
Inspect the wheel bearings.
Inspect the front suspension, tie rod ends and boot seals for cracks or leaks and all parts for damage, wear, improper looseness or end play; replace if necessary.
Inspect the front (4x4) and rear axle fluid, change if using your vehicle for police, taxi, fleet, off-road or frequent trailer towing.
Check the transfer case fluid (4x4).
Change automatic transmission fluid (Chassis Cab Only).

37500 60000 30 When prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System, the engine oil and filter must be changed. If not prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System within 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months since the last oil and filter change, change the engine oil and engine oil filter. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
Rotate tires.

45000 72000 36 When prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System, the engine oil and filter must be changed. If not prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System within 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months since the last oil and filter change, change the engine oil and engine oil filter. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
Rotate tires.
Inspect drive belt, replace as necessary.
Inspect brake linings.

52500 84000 42 When prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System, the engine oil and filter must be changed. If not prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System within 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months since the last oil and filter change, change the engine oil and engine oil filter. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
Rotate tires.

60000 96000 48 When prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System, the engine oil and filter must be changed. If not prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System within 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months since the last oil and filter change, change the engine oil and engine oil filter. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
Rotate tires.
Change automatic transmission fluid and sump filter (Chassis Cab Only).
Change automatic transmission fluid and filter(s) if using your vehicle for any of the following: police, fleet, or frequent trailer towing (Ram Truck Only).
Inspect the manual transmission fluid, add if necessary.
Change the transfer case fluid (4x4).

67500 108000 54 When prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System, the engine oil and filter must be changed. If not prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System within 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months since the last oil and filter change, change the engine oil and engine oil filter. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
Rotate tires.
Inspect brake linings.
Replace Crankcase Ventilation Filter (CCV).
Clean EGR Valve (Ram Truck – California, Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Oregon Only).
Clean EGR Cooler (Ram Truck Only)**.

75000 120000 60 When prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System, the engine oil and filter must be changed. If not prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System within 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months since the last oil and filter change, change the engine oil and engine oil filter. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
Rotate tires.
Flush and replace engine coolant at 60 months, if not replaced at 97,500 miles (157 000 km).
Inspect drive belt, replace as necessary.

82500 132000 66 When prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System, the engine oil and filter must be changed. If not prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System within 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months since the last oil and filter change, change the engine oil and engine oil filter. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
Rotate tires.

90000 144000 72 When prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System, the engine oil and filter must be changed. If not prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System within 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months since the last oil and filter change, change the engine oil and engine oil filter. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
Rotate tires.
Inspect drive belt, replace as required.
Inspect brake linings.

97500 156000 78 When prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System, the engine oil and filter must be changed. If not prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System within 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months since the last oil and filter change, change the engine oil and engine oil filter. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
Rotate tires.
Flush and replace engine coolant, if not replaced at 60 months.
Flush and replace power steering fluid (3500 Ram Truck Only).

105000 168000 84 When prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System, the engine oil and filter must be changed. If not prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System within 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months since the last oil and filter change, change the engine oil and engine oil filter. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
Rotate tires.
Flush and replace power steering fluid.

112500 180000 90 When prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System, the engine oil and filter must be changed. If not prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System within 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months since the last oil and filter change, change the engine oil and engine oil filter. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
Rotate tires.
Inspect brake linings.

120000 192000 96 When prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System, the engine oil and filter must be changed. If not prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System within 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months since the last oil and filter change, change the engine oil and engine oil filter. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
Rotate tires.
Change automatic transmission fluid and sump filter (Chassis Cab Only).
Change automatic transmission fluid and filter(s) (Ram Truck Only).
Change the manual transmission fluid if using your vehicle for any of the following: police, fleet, or frequent trailer towing.
Change the transfer case fluid (4x4).

127500 204000 102 When prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System, the engine oil and filter must be changed. If not prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System within 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months since the last oil and filter change, change the engine oil and engine oil filter. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
Rotate tires.

135000 216000 108 When prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System, the engine oil and filter must be changed. If not prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System within 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months since the last oil and filter change, change the engine oil and engine oil filter. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
Rotate tires.
Inspect brake linings.
Replace Crankcase Ventilation Filter (CCV).
Clean EGR Valve (Ram Truck Only).
Clean EGR Cooler (Ram Truck Only).

142500 228000 114 When prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System, the engine oil and filter must be changed. If not prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System within 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months since the last oil and filter change, change the engine oil and engine oil filter. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
Rotate tires.

150000 240000 120 When prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System, the engine oil and filter must be changed. If not prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System within 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months since the last oil and filter change, change the engine oil and engine oil filter. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 7,500 miles (12 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
Rotate tires.
Adjust valve lash clearance.
Flush and replace engine coolant at 120 months, if not replaced at 97,500 miles (157 000 km).

Inspection and service should also be performed anytime a malfunction is observed or suspected. Retain all receipts.

* This maintenance is not required if belt was previously replaced.

**The EGR Valve and EGR Cooler maintenance will be covered by the manufacturer only at this maintenance interval, for vehicles in California, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Vermont, Connecticut, Oregon, Rhode Island.

CAUTION: ***The manufacturer highly recommends that all cooling system service, maintenance, and repairs be performed by a local authorized dealer.

WARNING: You can be badly injured working on or around a motor vehicle. Do only service work for which you have the knowledge and the right equipment. If you have any doubt about your ability to perform a service job, take the vehicle to a competent mechanic.
Failure to properly inspect and maintain the vehicle could result in a component malfunction and effect vehicle handling and performance. This could cause an accident
Failure to follow these instructions may result in possible serious or fatal injury.

·
Cummins Crazy
2,310 Posts
DenverDodgeDealer,

Good reply if the guy didn't have a book.
BUT I think he is talking about synthetic oil changes.

WAYNES WORLD

·
Registered
138 Posts
thanks, very thorough!

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
I use Rotella Triple T along with 2 quarts of Lucas oil additive, and change at 7000 or oil change required light on EVIC. So far the light comes on shortly after my 7000 mile change. I can get the oil on sale or at Sam's club and buy my filters six at a time from Geno's. I use the Lucas to be sure I have good film coverage in the engineand to keep everything nice and clean. I got hooked on additives in 1964 when my brother was using STP and I was not in identical cars. When we each had over 25000 miles we took off the valve covers. His was as clean as a new engine. Mine had some black sludge starting to form. So I have used additives ever since. Total cost for an oil change which I do myself is about $60. Not even worth considering extending the interval. I have never used any synthetic oils. I guess if one does oil analysis etc. then the intervals could be extended. But to what end? Certainly not saving any money. And the risk of acid or other buildup is too great.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you do your own maintenance keep all your records and reciepts showing the dates and mileage and vin. number. The manufacturer's are really cracking down on seeing maintenance records. If a vehicle comes in looking pristine inside and out with a failure you'll have an easier go, but if it looks like, well you've all seen them and you dont have any maintenance records and the engine is sluged up and fuel filter bowl is full of rust and debris, we all loose, yes even us dealers. That being said if you keep it clean and maintain it you wont have a problem in the first place. We see customers with hundreds of thousands of miles with no problems, and yet we also see failures, but usually to vehicles that look like you would expect to see a failure. I am not trying to pour salt on any wounds just letting you all know if you take care of your own truck and you have a failure you will be asked to provide acurate maintenance records.

·
Registered
161 Posts
DenverDodge - how do you lube the sealed tie-rod ends? Just curious, first time owner..........

·
Registered
399 Posts
some of the owners manual stuff is generic, and the people who write the manual dont service the vehicles. If there is no grease fitting you cant grease it. That being said I have heard of some vehicles with a very small hole in the rubber boots for allowing moisture to dry out from condension, some people try pushing a small grease gun needle in there and applying a small amount grease, however some people cause more harm than good. Personally if it is a sealed unit it shouldnt need grease. The factory calls them lifetime units. Not sure who's lifetime though.

Reactions: mopartruck

·
Cummins Crazy
2,310 Posts
Gene,

I like all the grease fittings on my 96.
My 08 has one small fitting that is hard to get at. Why didn't they make that one a lifetime u-joint?

WAYNES WORLD

1 - 20 of 39 Posts