Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been running Amsoil for about 12,000 miles and ran royal purple once before that. The first 20,000 was Delo400. My question is it really better? Is it worth it? I'm spending big bucks on oil and still changing at 4,000-6,000 because I worry about soot levels in the oil. Is it better to use conventional and just change more often? I just want to what is best.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
If you main concern is engine life as it relates to soot levels, then you may want to consider installing an oil bypass system. There several systems to choose from-- I chose Amsoil mainly becaus the price was reasonable and filters were easily accessible and inexpensive (comparatively).

The oil bypass systems keep the factory OEM filter in place, and draw small amounts of oil from the system, and filtrate it down to 2 microns-- then return the freshly filtered oil back into the system.

Oil change intervals are then determined by oil analysis results. Users of bypass systems typically get more life from their oil (especially when using full synthetic CI-4 oil). The synthetics cost more up front, but with fewer oil changes and longer life the cost ends up being less than using dino oil and 3000-5000 mile oil changes.

Chuck a.k.a. Duluth Diesel will be along shortly to fill you in further. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
If you're uncomfortable going beyond 4-6000, use the Delo. If you are going out to 10k or more you can cost justify the use of a premium oil.

·
Registered
708 Posts
you a changing too often, change every 7500 miles like the manual says

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
remember to not look at just oil change intervials. your using a better oil also and it has many benifits to it. and yes you should add a bypass filter system. i use the BMK-11

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
As TEX said, a bypass filtration system would greatly reduce your suspended soot levels. The soot particles that do the most wear over time are between 7 and 12 micron in size. Your standard Mopar/Fleetguard cellulose filters are only rated to 35 micron at 98.7% efficiency. Fleetguard Stratapore filters are 25 micron. AMSOIL Ea and Donaldson Endurance filters are 15 micron. The AMSOIL bypass systems are rated to 2.0 micron at 98.7% efficiency. The best combination is to have better oil and couple it with better filtration. I run 30k intervals on my '02.

-Chuck

·
Registered
165 Posts
Missing lots of info , good answers require complete info .
You said nothing about your truck and or mods , so any answers are just ruff guesses .
Even though many are good generalizations .
Go to the user control panel fill in details about your truck & mods .
As an example , I bought my truck used , it had about 100 HP over stock , no info from 1st owner , but I used oil analysis , with Rotella 15-40w , soot levels were very low , TBN number were good , 2 different labs , kept telling me to extend my changes , I was at 12,000 miles , when I switch to Amsoil .
Its the same as trying to fix a problem , test to find whats wrong then replace only whats bad , not replace parts till the problem goes away .
Use analysis to know when to change oil , and watch for issues developing in the engine .
Now I am running Amsoil 15-40w HD marine , with dual by pass .

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok it sounds like I need to find out where to get analysis done. Any ideas?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I updated my sig but nothing shows up. Do you guys mail the oil in to have it analyzed?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've used those and also Cummins , go to your local Cummins dealer , if no Cummins dealer , a Cat also .
They give you a mailing kit .

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sweet guys on my next change I'll do it and see where I am.

·
Registered
80 Posts
How much are the BMK-11 kits? and also the analysis kit

Chuck please send PM.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts