Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving my truck kinda hard lately. And it has developed a little oil drip coming from the blowby tube. When I drive it normal it doesn't drip, sometimes but rarely. Is this normal for these engines to drip a little oil from the blowby tube?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Yup, some people relocate it so it doesn't lube the radiator

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yup, my 04.5 used to do it after long trips...after 15k, i ran the truck from Colorado to Michigan and from Indiana to Michigan, it seems that the curved roads attract a speedway attitude and so to keep up, I ran it pretty hard and once I got parked in Brighton (n of ann arbor), it started to drip a bit. I had it checked and they said dont worry about it, so whatever. I haven't seen it from my 06, but I haven't ran it all that hard either...so i think it goes hand in hand. It should be fine unless you start to see puddles instead of drips.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I can see about a quarter size little wet area under it when I run it hard. It's not like a lot but, it's about the size of a quarter. You think this is still ok?

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
yeah thats fine , when oil is hot it thins out , so the quarter size spot u see isnt actually much at all :thumbsup

·
Registered
460 Posts
IMO, i think its fine, my 04.5 used to do that too and my driveway is the tattle. If you think you want a mechanic's point of view, most folks would suggest getting a compression test to see if you're having a ring problem. Your call...maybe for peace of mind? First time I saw mine, i took it in right away, but the folks at Dodge told me it's normal.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks guys. I'll just deal with it. I know every big truck I've had, has always dripped oil. From a 500 ISX cummins, to an ol 435 N14 to the latest 465 volvo they all drip oil. I just didn't know if the pickup engines acted the same. Thanks

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm wanting to just extend the hose down below the bottom of the front diff, so when it does drip it doesn't get all over everything. How could I go about extend the tube down farther? Could I just hose clamp a piece of heater hose on the end of it and extend it down? Have any of you done this

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
I'm wanting to just extend the hose down below the bottom of the front diff, so when it does drip it doesn't get all over everything. How could I go about extend the tube down farther? Could I just hose clamp a piece of heater hose on the end of it and extend it down? Have any of you done this
Yes... several have done this but remember it will not fix the 2 problems...:w:

Crankcase Breather Overflow
TSB 09-002-02

A Heavy Oil Or Fuel-Like Odor Coming From the Diesel Engine Compartment (might fix this one...)
TSB 09-02-00

·
Registered
182 Posts
Relocate the vent if you want too, but just remember that it doesn't take much oil to make a mess, so what you are seeing isn't going to affect it. Could shove a sponge on the end of the tube, but I would just live with the mess. Give it a hot bath every once in a while.

·
Registered
861 Posts
its normal, dont worry about it

·
Registered
217 Posts
What material is used to reroute the breather hose instead of rubber?

·
Banned
296 Posts
mine does this too. except it is a very large puddle of oil. and i dont think that is good

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
What material is used to reroute the breather hose instead of rubber?
PVC Pipe.. It will not degraded over time and it will not freeze shut or kink shut... The route I did over the top and down the back and never left a drop of oil on my shop floor yet ot this day (5 years later)... My design was allowed even under warranty. Where rubber hose and other such designs were not accepted by Dodge...

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
Shouldn't the tube always be facing down hill some how?
Yeap downhill into my crankcase not the floor... :lol3:
I've built several of these for other people. So far there has never been a complaint nor a problem. Mine NEVER drips on my shop floor...

The downpipe of the Crankcase vent...

Unpainted/Unassembled crankcase vent

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
Here is the orignal write up...
Crancase Vent

Stock tube and mess...

My Crankcase vent MOD..

·
Registered
232 Posts