Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My drain plug will not budge. I tried everything, now its just a nub, any suggestions?:confused013:

·
Registered
887 Posts
wow, how tight was it????? umm only thing i can think of is a new pan....sorry bud, im sure someone will chime in with another way around it

·
Registered
224 Posts
Nub? It's stripped? If it was me I'd drill a hole in the middle, a good sized one, let the oil drain out, then get a big EZ out and twist it out. I'd run a magnet up in there to try and get any shavings that mighta got thrown in. If that don't work then I'd look into a new pan. Did you try to give the ratchet or whatever you're turning it with a good rap with a bammer or something to break it loose instead of just turning it?

·
Registered
141 Posts
just drill and tap a new drain plug

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Im with coal roller. Weld a nut to it

·
Premium Member
16,203 Posts
When you weld the nut on the heat will allow the plug to come out very easy.
Way I do it is to use a large nut and weld though the center.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Just use some vice grips or a stripped lugnut remover. Its pretty freakin simple...

·
Registered
348 Posts
this hapened to me this one time, just would not budge, ended up round. I just uesed a grinder and shaved it down to a smaller hexagon size when i was done the pan had cooled down and the drain plug heated a fair bit from the grinding and whola it came out and I still use it, any how I did replace the washer..

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
if i remember, arnt they a allen head. first oil change i did i changed mine to a quick drain type that we use at work.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I used to get a lot of damaged nuts on boat engines. I'd drop down in the metric set, hammer them on. Eventually something would hold. I destroyed a few sockets but "Oh, well!!" If the corners are too far gone... heat/cool?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Get a vacuum pump and suck the oil out the fill hole.

After sucking out the oil, drop a lit 1/4 stick of dynamite down the fill hole and put the cap on really quick. The heat and pressure of the dynamite will blow out the plug.

I've done that with great results at least seventeen times.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts