Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how often do all u guys change ur oil? somone told me they change every 5000 miles. thanks

·
Registered
846 Posts
I personally do 7k oil. Fuel filter about every 5-7. Depending on fuel pressure.

·
Registered
192 Posts
See if i can get this right! It depends on quaility of oil and how you use your cummins.First off change your oil filter everytime you change your oil.Second thing is the oil changes color because of wear and contamation from soot mostly!! when my 03 was new.I changed my oil at 5000 it looked like new. my 93 would been black at 4000.Went 7500 it was medium brown. At 10000 dark brown starting for light black. When i towed alot during the summer(big horse trailers,hay,gravel,fiewood ect,race people think i"m slow,Not) at 5000 it was turning medium brown. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
231 Posts
7500 miles.

Cummins builds it,why not follow their advice on how often to change the oil?

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
7500-10000, fuel filter every 5-6000 miles :thumbsup

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anybody use bypass filtration on these Cummins 5.9s ? I am new to these Dodges. I have been running brand C and F before this Dodge.....Jim

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I run the Frantz bypass oil filter on mine. New roll of TP about every 2 weeks. You can check my garage for pics of install.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Delvac syn every 7500

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
1 year or 25,000 miles. 95% of my miles are commuting though. If I was towing a lot more or had a high HP engine like some of these guys on here (IE.. BBRam) I would be changing it more frequently.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
5.9ram,

If you use good oil and oil filters I see no reason for the oil to not last at least 7500 miles. If you look in your 2006 owners manual it shows 2 oil change intervals (aka OCI) one for severe use at 7,500 miles and the other for normal use at 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it has roletta oil. idk is that a good oil?

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
I run delo 400 , change it every 3000 miles like on my gas engine , do oil filter every other oil change yes , i do change it alot but my oils always clean and she'll last a long time :thumbsup:butt:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I run delo 400 , change it every 3000 miles like on my gas engine , do oil filter every other oil change yes , i do change it alot but my oils always clean and she'll last a long time :thumbsup:butt:
I'd be changing my oil every 6 weeks. :$:

I have clean oil also even with 25,000 miles on the same oil and i don't even use a bypass. Different strokes for different folks and how their trucks are used.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
i have the fs25000. i change every 30 thousand miles, but change its element every 10000miles. ive had it on since the day i bought my truck brand new back in 06. now i have about 85000strong miles with no major problems.( just fan blower acting crazy)

2006 3/4ton ctd. fs2500 on engine and tranny. banks exhaust. firestone bags. cfm plus. s and b stage two cai. silencer ring mia. 6 inch superlift on 35.5 inch bfg all terrain w/20 inch moto metal.
mag hytec all around. truck cover usa roll out cover. rhino linings. 4:10gears .
edge juice w/ attitude

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use Delvac 1 / Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck in my diesel Volkswagen. The book calls for 10K changes... which I do. I was planning to use the same oil and interval with the cummins. That is unless someone here with a lot more knowledge tells me it's not a good idea

·
Registered
167 Posts
change mine at 5000 w/rotella. :peelout

·
Registered
565 Posts
7,500 on Premium blue :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 33 Posts