Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just changed my oil for the first time at 2194 miles. man, i couldn't believe the soot that was in the oil! i used Delo 400 and a Mopar oil filter. has anyone ever used the SuperTech oil that WalMart sells?? i wonder about the qualilty of the SuperTech. it is cheaper than the Delo 400 by about $1.50 per gallon, $4.50 per oil change. Not too much money to worry about.
So the soot is caused by the regeneration?? if it, the regen, is so bad, why does the cdt perform the regen?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just why you would change your oil at 2200 miles? That oil has all the break in assembly lube in it... I would have ran it longer. I believe the Super Tech brand is made by Havoline. Did your "overhead" prompt you to change the oil? ( I know the 2010+ trucks don't have overheads. )

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
raytown, in case you're not aware of it, wlamart has the gallon jugs of Delo for $8.50 right now. Too cheap not to get some.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oil change

I have always heard that the first few thousand miles are the hardest on engines and by changing early doesn't hurt and probably helps. i am not a mechanic, just what i have heard.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Im at 2400 miles, I'll be changing mine very soon too. sure it has break-in stuff in it, but it also has engines material from breaking in. I'll be running amsoil from here on out as my friend is a dealer. I ran Walmarts brand synthetic in most my previous trucks with no problems. Very cheap, and never one problem. I wont be running it in this though, gonna spend the extra cash on good oil since this is a $56k investment.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I see you too changed your oil early,
I also did at 600mi. :thumbsup:
Get rid of that assembly oil and crap.

You dumped it out early, and your concerned about the soot so why run the cheapest oil you can find?

For $10-11 a gallion you can get Rottela or for $11-12 Valvoline.

The first thing you can do to cut down on the soot is to unplug the egr.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I dumped mine at 1200 and will do it once more at 2500. After that the fuel in the oil should calm down and I will do 5k changes until I do the deletes.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I dumped mine at 1200 and will do it once more at 2500. After that the fuel in the oil should calm down and I will do 5k changes until I do the deletes.
Nope. You'll still have fuel in the oil. I'm at 6500 and have it. Drives me crazy.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Just why you would change your oil at 2200 miles? That oil has all the break in assembly lube in it... I would have ran it longer. I believe the Super Tech brand is made by Havoline. Did your "overhead" prompt you to change the oil? ( I know the 2010+ trucks don't have overheads. )
i believe it has been said many many times but their is zinc and phosphorus in the oil i believe at least that's what most break in oils use and they work for awhile but they are no where near made to last a long time in an engine

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yah i need to change mine and will be going with mobil 1 delvac or royal purple I guess. Im right at 4k miles.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Dumped my oil at 300 miles. I have done this with all my new vehicles for many years. Alot of people get real upset to here I wasted money like that. I paid 50 grand and Im worried about 70.00 dollars? :confused013: Oil got dumped again at 1200 miles. Thats when the motor got relieved of its soot maufacturing process. Now it will go 5000-7500 depending on oil analysis. When the bypass gets on there maybe 25000+.

Reactions: ruidosododge

·
Registered
373 Posts
Dealer changed mine today with 2,647 miles. Service tech said I can go 5,000 miles until next change. They reset my EVIC and said it would notify me if i need to change it sooner than 5,000 miles due to idleing or heavy service usage (towing).

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see you too changed your oil early,
I also did at 600mi. :thumbsup:
Get rid of that assembly oil and crap.

You dumped it out early, and your concerned about the soot so why run the cheapest oil you can find?

For $10-11 a gallion you can get Rottela or for $11-12 Valvoline.

The first thing you can do to cut down on the soot is to unplug the egr.
unplug the egr? thats it?? that sounds too easy!

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
did the deletes and have 2,000 on this change and oil still looks new :shock::hehe::rof:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
all you have to do is unplug the egr?? what about the warranty?
What about it?
just tell them you had a cel on but it went off.
It will go off all by ti's self after a few starts or you could clear it.

A cel from the egr is so common it doesn't arouse any suspicious activity.

If you want to slow or stop the oil dilution you'll need to delete the DPF.

ps for once I agree with firedude,

I first changed my oil at 600 mi then at 2000mi then every 4k-5k. Dino oil is cheep at $10 a gal maybe after I get 50-100k on her I'll go 5-6k.

You can change your oil for less than the price of a tank of fuel:confused013:

·
GOD IS GOOD
667 Posts
Did my first change at 1,000 and then every 3,000. I now have the deletes :party018: and will be going around 5,000 between changes using a Mopar filter and Valvoline Premium Blue!!! O' did my DPF delete and Blocked EGR at 10,500 miles.:party018:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts