Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m coming up for my first oil change, dealer told me at 5000 miles. I’ve been thinking of changing over to synthetic, just wondering what others have done, if I change over what mileage to then go between changes. I’m leaning towards changes at 5000 mile intervals, easy to remember.

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Non delete, the dealer actually told me my first oil change should be at 4800 miles. Hope to get it done this week, it’ll be interesting to see what they recommend for mileage for the second change. Truck is in Canada, maybe the reason for the number of 4800 miles, probably converted from kilometres to miles to come up the number of 4800

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Non delete, the dealer actually told me my first oil change should be at 4800 miles. Hope to get it done this week, it’ll be interesting to see what they recommend for mileage for the second change. Truck is in Canada, maybe the reason for the number of 4800 miles, probably converted from kilometres to miles to come up the number of 4800
Who cares what the dealer recommends unless they’re doing it for free. Follow what the manual specifies.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
I’m coming up for my first oil change, dealer told me at 5000 miles. I’ve been thinking of changing over to synthetic, just wondering what others have done, if I change over what mileage to then go between changes. I’m leaning towards changes at 5000 mile intervals, easy to remember.

Thanks for any input
Let’s start off with what you are driving. 1st oil change of vehicle years 13+ or your 1st oil change on said vehicle years 10-12?

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Now, depending on that info, your oil changes could be at 3000 miles to 15,000 miles, or every 6 months to a year.
Mine is a deleted 2011. I went from 3000 miles in winter months with 8% fuel dilution to 12,000 miles all seasons.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry about that, 2018 Diesel Ram LBCC Dually, new in November just coming up to 5000 miles

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Sorry about that, 2018 Diesel Ram LBCC Dually, new in November just coming up to 5000 miles
IIRC, your normal interval factory recommended will be as high as 15,000 miles. With a 2018, it is just a waste to change oil at 5000. Double that after your 1st change if your doing it at 5000. I run 5-40 synthetic all year due to my climate.

·
Registered
45 Posts
First change at 15k miles or 6 months whichever comes first.

Subsequent changes at 15k or 6 months whichever comes first.

6 months for me only because warranty, will probably go closer to 1 year after.

I'm a fan of synthetic, but, I think manual says to use it under 0° F.

I've been changing it in April and October to meet the 6 months, as high as 12k and as low as 5k miles

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Would love to see that quote.
It’s good for any ambient temperatures.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Agreed, was just saying I think it is specified under 0° and conventional isn't.

Conventional 15w40 0°+
Synthetic 5w40 any temp

As the OP is in the Northland, synthetic would be a good choice in my opinion

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think what he is trying to say is the manual states 15w40 is good above 0F and 5W40 synthetic is good at any temperature and required below 0F.

See expert from the manual -> In ambient temperatures below 0°F (-18°C), SAE 5W-40
synthetic engine oil that meets Chrysler Materials Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 engine oil category is
required

·
Registered
300 Posts
Synthetic or not, you should change the oil as often as possible because not even synthetic can guard against soot...It’s for this reason, and for protection against a soot related turbo bearing failure that extended oil changes are in my view out of the question...Instead of costly synthetic oil to allow for 15k mi oil changes, I prefer to put my dough on frequent 5k mi oil changes...

·
Registered
270 Posts
I’ve owned three Rams with the Cummins engine, from 2014 through 2017. I have always followed the manufacturer’s recommendations of 15,000 without problems. I use the Delvac1 oil from Mobil which is a 5-40 full synthetic oil. It cost me around $175-$200 for each oil change, including fuel and oil filters. With a good quality oil it would be downright wasteful to change it any sooner than what the factory recommends.

Just my two cents worth...

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Synthetic or not, you should change the oil as often as possible because not even synthetic can guard against soot...It’s for this reason, and for protection against a soot related turbo bearing failure that extended oil changes are in my view out of the question...Instead of costly synthetic oil to allow for 15k mi oil changes, I prefer to put my dough on frequent 5k mi oil changes...
If I recall correctly, @BrianF 's oil analysis a little while ago didn't show any concerns.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Don't go by what the stealership tell you! Took my wifes Malibu there for service and they told her it had to come in at 3,000 miles every time. When she asked them why not go off of the oil change interval that the car is set up for they told her that " you just cant't go by that". So I called GM and asked them and they told me there is no reason NOT to go off of what the vehicle tells us and that if there is something that the dealership thinks is wrong with the engine to change the oil every 3k that we need to get it in writing and probably a new engine. When we aproached the dealership with this info the had no idea what we were talking about even though their sticker was in the windshield recomending 3k oil changes. On all of my diesel trucks I have always gone with an oil analysis to see check things out. I've used 5-40 synthetic oil and went 20k with the duramax and you could still see through the oil whan I changed it and tests showed all was good. Changed it every 10k with the Cummins and of course it was BLACK!! but tests also came back good. Either way I would go off of the vehicle info or test the oil if you are going to "stretch out" oil changes.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts