Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

My truck tossed up an oil change required message on the overhead display for the first time ever. I'm at about 4,300 miles into this oil change. Now, this is the first change where I made the call to just use conventional Shell T4 oil. I was using T6 before this.

Do these trucks (08') detect the oil quality with a sensor or is this timed? How does the sensor work if so? I feel like it cant be timed since I have never seen it come up before and never reset anything when I change the oil.

Last change 103,555 mi
Currently at ~107,934 mi.

So maybe I'm due? Shouldn't I get more out of T4 than 4.3k?

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
The only parts of the oil change calculation i know is mileage, idle time and fuel dilution (regen frequency and durations).
There's probably more but i have no direct knowledge of them.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only parts of the oil change calculation i know is mileage, idle time and fuel dilution (regen frequency and durations).
There's probably more but i have no direct knowledge of them.
Ugh... I guess I should listen to it. Funny this happened on my first cheap conventional + mopar filter change. Honestly I’m likely going back to t6 + Donaldson filters after this. Never gave me this message before and I did 10k changes there.

·
Cowboy AKA Equality State
929 Posts
I bought my '09 new with only 3 miles on it. One thing I've noticed is the message comes on at totally random mileages. One time it came on a couple days after I changed it, but forgot to do the "peddle dance" to let it know I did.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Come to think of it, I had the message come up around 1k after my last oil change.
I just did the peddle dance again and ignored it.

And I just use regular old delo or whatever I can find on sale.
At roughly 4-5k miles a year I never see the oil change message until this last time.

I can't imagine changing oil types would have any affect on the calculation.

·
Cowboy AKA Equality State
929 Posts
I don't think it makes too much of a difference, considering the fact, they don't even have a real oil pressure gauge!! All is just a guesstimate based on whatever...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Same as above^
I don't think your choice of oil or filter has anything to do with the reminder. Mine usually gives me a notice every 6-7k regardless of synthetic or not. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you change your oil and filter on a scheduled basis.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's the "peddle dance" forgive me, the first time since I go the truck (60k ago) this message has come up.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Turn key to on, depress skinny pedal 3 times within 10 seconds it seems. I can’t verify as I have never done it, but that seems to be the consensus.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So there really is no “sensor” that’s detecting bad/old oil? Because I’m gonna let to go another 1k then change it otherwise. Get my money out of the change.

I saved $35 switch back to conventional and a mopar filter btw. Lol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Morphrider is correct. I respect mine a few days ago wit that procedure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts