Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there is a light or some sort of warning on our trucks to tell us when its time to change the oil? I have almost 24000 miles on my truck and have been changing the oil every 5000 but have yet to see any warning or light come on. I also have a 06 Toyota Carolla and it has a light that comes on when its time so i figured that my truck would have something similar. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Unless our C&C are different there should be an overhead message that comes on and says "oil change required". Are you changing the oil yourself? or having someone do it? They may be resetting the overhead if someone is changing it. Also if the message does come on the way you reset it is you turn the key to the on position press gas pedal 3 times and then start truck. That will clear the message.

The message should come on every 7,500 miles. I haven't seen mine come on yet but I only have 7100 miles.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have changed the oil myself everytime, but I have never seen an oil change required message on the overhead. I wonder if I should take it in to the dealership. Not that I need the reminder to change the oil but If there is something wrong with my truck i want to have it fixed.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I know my 07 6.7 3500 had the message. This is my first C&C so I can't really answer if we have the overhead display or not. I don't see why the truck wouldn't have it but I don't know.

I would call the dealership and just ask the service advisor or tech before I went down there. If they are an intelligence they should be able to tell you over the phone.

·
Registered
188 Posts
None of my 5.9's or my 6.7 have ever shown a change oil on overhead console?

·
Registered
107 Posts
the c&c dont but the pickups do. my uncle and grandpa both have an 08 2500 and both of them come on every 5,000 miles i think. it says see dealer, oil change required. on overhead

·
Registered
34 Posts
If everything is ok with the oil it wont come on.. its suppose to only come on when the oil is in need of change.. so if you change it b4 it gets bad enough for the computer to say it need to be changed all the time, then its possible that it would never come on... I know thats how the new 6.7's operate anyhow.. The comp. analyzes the oil due to work load and how you drive not sure about the 5.9's... ...

. I checked out this thread b/c my oil light has just come on after only a couple hundred miles of changing the oil.... So i was just seeing if anyone has similar problems or know if maybe some trucks need to have an updated flash... Also does anyone here use synthetic oil in there cummins ??? i have been using the Mobil1 synthetic diesel oil...

·
Registered
40 Posts
My Camry throws out the maintenance light every 5000 no matter what. It's annoying, but it reminds the masses that toyotas however everlasting do need to have their oil changed.

·
Registered
648 Posts
IIRC from other threads, the computer senses fuel in the oil and that's what trips the light. I run Amsoil in mine, usually to 10-12K between changes. I've never seen the light. (no smart comments please)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
The computer does sense fuel in the oil, result of the injection cycles of fuel needed during a regen. me personally, ive never have seen the oil change light, because my truck never got the chance to see a regen!!!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've had mine for a year now & never seen the change oil light, being in N.M. on this dusty ROW I don't let it go beyond 3200. If fuel in oil is the trigger then I never want to see the reminder. The wifes 1500 HEMI comes on every 2500?? but then we do play hard in it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have maintanence deal at dodge, my oil change light comes on around 3000 miles but they wont change till it hits 7,500 cause of there contract i bought. Everytime i go in they say its not time and they reset the oil change required light. so i have been soing oil changes inbetween there 7,500 miles and boy is it black at 3000 miles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have maintanence deal at dodge, my oil change light comes on around 3000 miles but they wont change till it hits 7,500 cause of there contract i bought. Everytime i go in they say its not time and they reset the oil change required light. so i have been soing oil changes inbetween there 7,500 miles and boy is it black at 3000 miles.

Some trucks need to have the overhead re-flashed, because of a problem of the oil change light coming on too often or too soon.. I just had mine done and it seems to be fixed.... Also.. do you have your egr deleted or dpf?? I drove less than 1k miles b4 i did them both on my truck... even at 700 miles the oil was black black b4 the egr delete... I duno if the dpf has much to do with it .. maybe just b/c of the higher egt's... But After the first oil change I started using Synthetic oil and a good filter and with the egr delete my oil stays almost clear the whole time... It amazes me for a diesel... usually as soon as you pour the oil in the engine its black. After the factory oil was all flushed out and there's no more soot being pumped into the engine from the egr my oil looks as if it were in a 4 cly light duty gas engine.. I love it...

Also i just couldn't believe just HOW MUCH soot was already accumulated in the intake horn, way b4 1000 miles from the egr... It disgusted me.. I had to take it off when shimming the fuel release valve and thats when i made the decision to delete the egr immediately. I cleaned the horn out to like new inside and same with as much as i could from the intake on the head and now after 7k miles the inside is still nice clean aluminum with no soot! :thumbsup:

Lastly... IF your overhead IS correct.... and your truck is fueling a little too much and its contaminating the oil, It is NOT good that the dealer just ignores it and resets the light... I cant believe they didn't at least plug it in, or check the vip to see if your truck needs the overhead flash.. since it keeps doing that.... Its good that you change it in between though... just keep an eye on it... b4 u change it, is the oil level elevated from when u first filled it? if it is then that means there's fuel in it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Oil Change Indicator System
Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change indicator system. This system will alert you when it is time to change your engine oil by displaying the words “Oil Change Required” on your Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC). The engine oil change indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate depending on your personal driving style. Driving styles such as frequent stop and go type driving can increase the frequency of the engine oil change. This is the result of more frequent regeneration of the exhaust aftertreatment system, which can decrease the life of the engine oil. Failure to change the engine oil per the maintenance schedule can result in internal engine damage.

For information on resetting the Oil Change Indicator message, refer to “Oil Change Required – If Equipped,” under “Personal Settings (Customer Programmable Features),” in the “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)” Section of this manual.

OIL CHANGE INDICATOR - RESET
To reset the “Oil Change Required” indicator (after performing the scheduled maintenance) refer to the following procedure:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not start engine).
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE: If the indicator message illumination when you start the vehicle, the “Oil Change Required” indicator did not reset. If necessary repeat this procedure.

Perform Service Indicator
Your vehicle will require emissions maintenance at a set interval. To help remind you when this maintenance is due, the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) will display “Perform Service”. When the “Perform Service” message is displayed on the EVIC it is necessary to have the emissions maintenance performed. Emissions maintenance includes replacing the Closed Crankcase Ventilation (CCV) filter element, cleaning or replacement of the EGR Cooler, and cleaning or replacement of the EGR Valve.

For information on resetting the “Perform Service” indicator message, refer to “Perform Service Indicator — Reset” (If Equipped), under “Personal Settings (Customer Programmable Features)”, in the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) Section of this manual.

PERFORM SERVICE INDICATOR - RESET
The “Perform Service” message will display on the EVIC each time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position to indicate a emission maintenance is required. To reset the “Perform Service” indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance) refer to the following procedure:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not start engine).
2. Press and release the brake pedal two times.
3. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly two times within 10 seconds.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE: If the indicator message illumination when you start the vehicle, the “Perform Service” indicator did not reset. If necessary repeat this procedure.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Perform Service Indicator
Your vehicle will require emissions maintenance at a set interval. To help remind you when this maintenance is due, the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) will display “Perform Service”. When the “Perform Service” message is displayed on the EVIC it is necessary to have the emissions maintenance performed. Emissions maintenance includes replacing the Closed Crankcase Ventilation (CCV) filter element, cleaning or replacement of the EGR Cooler, and cleaning or replacement of the EGR Valve.
I didn't realize so much maintenance was necessary with a diesel (being a first-time diesel owner). I'm guessing none of this emissions maintenance is covered under the standard 100k warranty. :confused013:

Guess I'm going to need to figure out where all this stuff is located.

Speaking of oil & change intervals. I just did my first oil change and used Rotella Diesel15w40 synthetic (3 gallons) and a Fram Oil filter. Looks like I could have done better on the filter and gone with a Mobil-1, but the FRAM was all I could find. I had to special order an air filter from NAPA because nobody seems to stock these things for the 2008 6.7L yet.

·
Registered
317 Posts
mine popped on the other day, but i also did my deletes at 2000 miles. when it came on it was at 7k, so i figure that the 2k of dpf was what did it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mine just hit 13,000 miles and has never had a "change oil" message.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts