Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Go Packers
6,006 Posts
@Jimmy N. I've got a Fumoto oil valve on my truck. Its kinda like the Karate Kid when Mr. Miyagi said "Danielson, wax on, wax off". I sure likes that fumoto thingee.

·
Go Packers
6,006 Posts
I like those myself.
But it wouldn't surprise me one bit if a dealer would unscrew it instead of simply opening the valve.
That pretty well makes my case for doing my own oil changes. My sold 2006 6.0 F-350 had a rounded drain plug thanks to Walmart oil change while on a out of state RVing trip. I made a set of home made ramps. When on a longer trips, I have oil & filter on hand and I'm not at the mercy of idiots who have the mind set, "I'll not see that truck again." Not a fan of Wally world. Walmart can pound sand!!!

·
Registered
13,704 Posts
I'd take a mess over cross threaded drain plugs or filters every time. And even over simply over tightened drain plugs.
Well, fortunately for me, that has never happened. Happened to my dad's psd while getting a change out on the road, but of course, he didn't find out about it until the next oil change, and not like he could take it 1200 miles back to the offending shop.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Some good insight on here. I go by mileage, not time. Cummins provides oil condemnation limits for the ISB6.7. Time was not one of them.

Using used oil analysis, I plan on extending mine out. Planning to run this current fill to 30,000km or 18k miles and see where it sits. So far from what I have found, 24,000km barely adds any fuel, soot or depletes the additives or shear the oil past its limit. That's with all that garbage emissions intact.

Rest easy knowing this engine does not really care what sort of oil it has in it. Run CES20081/86 and grade for your climate and be done with it.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Since I'm in tractor maintenance mode this week, I couldn't help but notice the contrast between the oil change schedules for my Ram and the tractor.

Ram: 15,000 miles, six months, or 500 hours.
Tractor: Every 300 hours.

Very unlike the Ram, the tractor should have its first change at 50 hours. Makes perfect sense to me, getting the break-in crap out of there early, and why I do the same with Rams instead of letting 15,000 miles pass.

Also interesting is that after that initial oil change on the tractor, with a 300 hr interval, the filter is only supposed to be changed every 600 hours.
Naturally I change the filter, too, while I'm at it.

So here we have two turbo charged diesel vehicles that cost about the same. Why are the oil change requirements that different?
My guess is that while a tractor may sit for months, when it gets fired up it's not to go to the corner store two blocks away. Instead it gets used and properly warmed up.

The bottom line is that effectively I'm forced to change my oil every six months on the Ram because so many use theirs as a car, and Ram knows it.
Okay, that's not the whole story. As mentioned, most other vehicles don't have this dumb time based interval, but FCA has seen the opportunity to profit from improperly driven vehicles.
On my new work truck, Cummins, I mean Paccar, basically says no matter how you look at it, 500 hours. I'm OK with that.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
At 6K miles a year I do it every year before my summer trip. I do it myself, fuel and all. If it gets screwed up, I did it. But it doesn't and I keep it clean. I let the oil drain overnight. The oil change is a good time to inspect everything.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts