Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got in my truck at work tonight to go home and this is what I saw:
Car Vehicle Speedometer Auto part Trip computer

Is this what you guys are seeing? If not, what are you guys getting in between changes?

The manual and the topics I've seen mention 7500 miles. I searched and didn't see any threads dedicated to this.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Pretty normal for a stock truck that doesn't work particularly hard. I usually saw from 2700-4200, from my daily driver, no towing. I got over 5000 once when I pulled a larger U Haul from Minneapolis to New Hampshire and back.

·
Go Packers
9,079 Posts
My last message came at 4,297 miles on the oil.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry to hijack, but do you guys change the oil when the light comes on, or do you follow the owners manual recommendations?

·
Go Packers
9,079 Posts
Sorry to hijack, but do you guys change the oil when the light comes on, or do you follow the owners manual recommendations?
You raise a good question. I change when the message appears. My truck is not deleted. I've read other posters who also state if your truck is not deleted, change when the message appears. Some may get close to the 7500 mile mark, but IMO, they are deleted or not much grocery getting with them, lots of highway driving, or towing.

Redneck, the only dumb question is the one you do not ask. Best wishes.

Reactions: NC4stroker

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Every 10K miles--deleted. Makes it easy to remember.
That' what I'm doing. Also, I agree. Unless the truck is deleted, or worked hard it's not gonna make it to 7500 without regeneration breaking down the oil.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I get my oil tested from black stone labs to monitor spot fuel dilution and tbn I ran 10k last time and they recommended trying 12 k my light comes on about every 3500 miles

·
Registered
285 Posts
My truck is all stock...bought it with 35217 miles on it (oil change done before I took it home)....light popped on with 5,002 miles on the oil...just last friday. So it def is going to vary....
And got the oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs. Fuel dilution showed Trace...so I was really happy about that. Aluminum and Potassium were high though...they said it could be piston wear (aluminum) and faulty EGR Cooler (Potassium)....but they also said it is normal for these readings to be high from a newer emission system from these new diesels. So I am going to get it checked again in 5,000 miles and see if numbers drop. Everything else was fine.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Mine popped on this am 2300 miles after last change. ..it came on at 2500 last time...seems too soon? Should I change it again?

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
Change it. It can't hurt with all the problems your truck is having with the emissions.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Why is the interval so bad? Would dpf delete help?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Why is the interval so short...thought it was 7500. Dpf and egr ?

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
I dunno. You've had all sorts of crazy stuff going on with your truck. The dang computer is probably all confused.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Ha...yeah...but 2300 is not many miles

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Yeah, your oil change interval is decided by the computer, basing itself off of, idle time, passive re-generations, and forced re-gen by dumping fuel during the exhaust stroke to get the your EGT's high enough to burn the soot.... So unless you're driving a lot of highway or working the truck pretty hard you're going to see short oil change intervals

Deletion of DPF filter and EGR cooler and valves ultimately allows you to decide when to change the oil, I may still follow the 7,500, might stretch it to 10k, but if I do 10k I usually change both the fuel filter and oil filter at 5k, but I can probably do 10k for the fuel filter, always air on the side of caution.

I did my first oil change at 3,500 and then a second at 10k after I deleted around 6k... can't wait to see some cleaner oil come out of this thing.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Wow...amazing how saving pollution uses more fuel and oil and money

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
The owners manual says every 6months or 7500 miles, or if the indicator light comes on change it...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts