Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you change your oil? Do you wait for the dinger, or go by Mileage? There is an interesting video on youtube (amsoil diesel fuel dilution) which applies to non deleted trucks. As for me I don't put many miles on my truck so I do oil changes around once a year.

·
Registered
503 Posts
The "dinger" means nothing. It is erratic to say the least. I change mine every 10,000 KMs along with the oil and bypass filters.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I use Rotella T6 and a Fleetgaurd StrataPore oil filter.
I change every 10k miles.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Delo 400 for me. I've been around a lot of heavy equipment and that seems to be the most popular around here.

·
Registered
890 Posts
As said above the dinger thing is just a counter and means nothing. I probably change my oil more then its needed but about every 7000 miles since I do a little bit of towing a few times every month. A lot of guys will go longer and have had no issues.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Kilometres mean nothing, go by engine hours. I go 250 hours running rotella t6. The reason I say Kms mean nothing is because the engines still dirtying the oil whether your driving or sitting in it idling. And idling hours is worse then work hours

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
427 Posts
I go about 7k miles between changes running regular Rotella 15-40. I've done a few oil samples with blackstone and they keep saying I can go longer but for peace of mind I'll likely stick with 7k interval. Before I deleted I went 4-5k (with egr unplugged). The evic reminder is worthless and it was proven with an oil report from blackstone.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kilometres mean nothing, go by engine hours. I go 250 hours running rotella t6. The reason I say Kms mean nothing is because the engines still dirtying the oil whether your driving or sitting in it idling. And idling hours is worse then work hours

True that. I'd almost guarantee that most people never even check their operating hours. You'd be surprised at how fast those accumulate especially on farm trucks, or other times when a lot of idling is required.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well on the farm, combines swathers, seeding equipment runs non stop from 6 am to 11-12 at night, somtimes 24/7 if one of use gets a nap during the day. Don't take long to get 200 hours on regular 15-40. Some of our n11 and n14's have 12,000 hours and engines haven't been touched other then a bearing roll in at 10,000. and idle smooth and quiet. Never an oil change passed 200-250 hours on regular 15-40 under high engine loads for 15-20 hour days. And yes we buy oil and fuel filters by the pallets, not cases haha. My brother used to work construction and one day walked past an open hood and noticed the hours written on the filter, later that day he looked and sure enough, almost 600, 600!!! Hours on 15-40

·
Registered
1,001 Posts

We operate 46 front discharge concrete trucks, and 35 tri-axle dump trucks.
The mixers are serviced by the hour, and the dump trucks by the mile.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I go about 10K miles. Sooner if it looks dirty. Fleet Guard Stratapor and Rotella. I'll throw a fuel filter in there too for good measure.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I probably change mine more often than necessary but I believe in an "ounce of prevention..." I'll do a change at around 4-5k miles on my non-deleted truck, using Rotella T 15W-40 or Mobil Delvac 15W-40 and K&N filter. Truck is a daily driver and tows a fifth wheel a few times a year.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
The "dinger" means nothing. It is erratic to say the least.

deleted.
change the oil every 5-7k.
after 5k but before the 7k:confused013:
dino, Rottela or Valvoline

·
Registered
126 Posts
Dang seems like I do my early. I do it every 5000 with kendall semi synthetic and new napa filter.

·
Registered
734 Posts
When I was stock, I did it every 5k (about every 10 months). I now run syn and change it annually (about 6k per year).

·
Registered
727 Posts
Every 8-10,000 miles with Amsoil,I only wish it took me 10 months to go 6,000 miles :hehe:I do that in 6 weeks

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Deleted and changing the oil about every 7500 miles.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Have been changing at 5k, but now that I am deleted, 7500 looks reasonable. Oil is staying much cleaner without all of the soot. Using Valvolene Blue 15W40.

·
Registered
45 Posts
While under warrenty did every 5,000 miles. now go 7,500 miles

1 - 20 of 38 Posts